Release pond? Good idea? Bad idea?

Skater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2010
KC Missouri
This is my first post and I'm pretty tired, everyone thinks a tad crazy when tired, so I was thinking why not have each city build a pond where you could release anything? Or just designate a pond not connected to any rivers. That would reduce the amount of people releasing their fish into the rivers and lakes. Plus people could fish there and maybe find some nice stuff? The pond wouldn't be too big so even the city could clear out some of it. It seems like a good idea to me, people could do it legally instead of illegally into our rivers. Or maybe people would ruin it and just release everywhere, thinking if it's okay there it'll be okay in another river.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It wouldn't be a good idea because it would cost tax money to build and maintain it. It would just give anyone an excuse to buy Pacus, Arowanas, Arapiamas, every other month as the previous one would get "too big" too soon. It would just be an excuse to be irresponsible. Also releasing federally banned fish like Snakeheads and Clarius Cats and state banned fish like Gars and Piranhas (in California) would be problematic.

Skater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2010
KC Missouri
I guess benzjamin is right. I don't see much in the way of maintaining though? You designate a pond, and you put a "no swimming sign" up. I do agree on the statement about Arowanas and Pacus. The whole thing about snakeheads and pirahnas is the reason there would need to be one, so those dont get in the rivers and lakes that mean a lot.

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
benzjamin13;3758074; said:
It wouldn't be a good idea because it would cost tax money to build and maintain it.

yup, Mankind rather keep money in their pocket and let mother nature take a hit on its ecosystem.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
another problem with this is that in most places the fish wouldn't make it through the winter, so it is a waste of money for a city or something to make a lake for this sort of thing

Skater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2010
KC Missouri
Cichlaholics Anonymous;3758362; said:
another problem with this is that in most places the fish wouldn't make it through the winter, so it is a waste of money for a city or something to make a lake for this sort of thing
I don't understand where this money will be spent. A lot of cities have ponds that they don't do anything with, how much money does it take to maintain a pond? I would think none, seeing as they're naturally occuring.

Skater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2010
KC Missouri
Is there a way to edit a post of yours? I meant to add that if they don't have the money to make something like that, then it's not like it's needed for a city, but I don't see why some cities with ponds laying around don't just designate that pond for safely releasing your fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store