Remote deep sand bed for freshwater?

her209

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
The Internet
I bought two 6 qt Sterilite container to hold a DSB in my bare bottom 20 gallon long. Its made to store shoes and was only $1 at Walmart including the lid. I didn't want such a tall container which made this one perfect. Plus, putting the substrate in the container allows me to transplant it into another tank without disturbing the substrate. I will be filling the entire thing with about 4 inches of sand. The container is about 5 inches tall, and the sides are pretty flimsy so it may bow a bit. due to the weight of the sand.

Will it work?

DSC01672.JPG

DSC01675.JPG

DSC01676.JPG

'vspec'

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2010
Melbourne
Ideally you want something rigid, however the worst that can happen is what you mentioned - when you move it, it will flex allowing the bed to move along the edges. More an issue long term than short.
This can disturb the bed as you can imagine, however its better than the alternative of straight scooping it out.

Youve got the right idea going bud, the bed will never drain or dry out drawing oxygen into it, plus it allows you future freedoms. Just remember, regardless of how small something is, its functional & more than what you had before.

Its great to see bed functionality topics for freshwater making a decent start.

Tsc123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
USA
her209;4495035;4495035 said:
I bought two 6 qt Sterilite container to hold a DSB in my bare bottom 20 gallon long. Its made to store shoes and was only $1 at Walmart including the lid. I didn't want such a tall container which made this one perfect. Plus, putting the substrate in the container allows me to transplant it into another tank without disturbing the substrate. I will be filling the entire thing with about 4 inches of sand. The container is about 5 inches tall, and the sides are pretty flimsy so it may bow a bit. due to the weight of the sand.

Will it work?
So is that going to sit in your tank?

'vspec'

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2010
Melbourne
Im interested though, what are you currently running?.
I dont often hear the word BB much these days. I used to be a clear base dude when i was younger. Kinda thought of it like 'glass art' in a way, And definitely a cool scope cause it can keep you on your toes with environment & testing.

her209

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
The Internet
[QUOTE='vspec';449563;0]Im interested though, what are you currently running?.
I dont often hear the word BB much these days. I used to be a clear base dude when i was younger. Kinda thought of it like 'glass art' in a way, And definitely a cool scope cause it can keep you on your toes with environment & testing.[/QUOTE]
Nothing special. Just cories in this tank anyways. I'm lazy and didn't want to deal with substrate.

her209

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2010
The Internet
I've got some Flora Base plant substrate lying around. Bought it about 9 years ago for a planted tank that I never got around to setting up. Are the granules too big for use in a DSB?

SubstratoFloraBase.jpg

'vspec'

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2010
Melbourne
haha, Thats gold, as to keep them happy, thats exactly what they need.

Sugar fine sand is best. Thats gravel grade.

Starting up

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
australia
Hears what i have been thinking of doing.

My main tank is 4ft and holds around 200lts

I have a lond #ft tank (unknowl what capacity) for a RDSB
I think i will have some plants and snails and will try to get some worms going

I will also use this to breed brissel nose cats as my main tank has a oscar and a sail fin plec. The last lot of babies only lasted a few days.rdsb.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store