Repaired 55g Flooded Fishroom.

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
Hey guys thanks for the help in advance on this one. I really need to find out what I did incorrectly.

Alright heres the story.

I purchased a well used 55g in 2015 (sticker says "built by S.M 2003").

As old as it is I wasnt surprised when it sprung a small leak. I thought, No problem, I've seen "king of diy" reseal a tank ive got this.

Well, when I removed the rim I noticed it was cracked in 2 spots. I decided to replace it with glass braces. I had a local glass shop cut me (3) 12.5"x8" pieces of glass the same thickness as the rest of the tank.

After making sure I had removed all the old silicone I used "GE#1" silicone to seal the tank and adhear my braces to the top of my tank. 1 on each side and 1 in the middle. I'll also include some pictures at the end of the post.

While resealing the inside I noticed the side panel that had leaked initially had seperated from the back panel. I made sure to remove as much old silicone as possible before packing it with fresh silicone and running a bead on the inside.

After 5 days the tank was looking good and felt solid so I added my fish.

This morning I woke to the sound of rushing water. The center brace had broken its bond and allowed the back panel to seperate from the side panel opposite the one that seperated initiallly.

So my question is what can i do differently to prevent this next time? Should the Aquarium be completely disassembled and rebuilt? The seam split at the top of the tank but I did notice the bottom plastic rim was also cracked on the corners.

Heres an album of pictures in chronological order. I really appreciate any help and constrictive criticism. It was quit the mess to clean up. Although it was a frantic morning, damage was minimal.

http://imgur.com/a/GUQp16P

Thanks again. -Ricky.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Spend 55 bucks on one of the $1 per gallon sales instead? For that size tank I would never consider spending the time resealing it when they are so cheap for a new one with a warranty.

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
Spend 55 bucks on one of the $1 per gallon sales instead? For that size tank I would never consider spending the time resealing it when they are so cheap for a new one with a warranty.
Thanks for the reply! Any help finding this deal? I hear about it on forums all the time but when I ask all the big box pet stores and my LFS they tell me its over 100 dollars and that they havent done dollar per gallon in years. maybe I should speak with a manager? I live in North Alabama if that helps.

Reactions: monkeybike

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Usually its Petco or Pet Supplies Plus around here. Follow them on Facebook and Twitter, they will usually post when they do the $1 a gallon sales.

Reactions: tlindsey

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
The petco $1/gal sales are legit, but only up to 40g.

Reactions: tlindsey

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
ahh thanks guys looks like its by location and seasonal. Any advice on working with what I already have? Glass is Glass it doesnt go bad and ive spent 40 on the braces already. I just need to assemble it properly. I could repair the bottom trim with fiberglass. Ill probly just start from scratch and hope for the best. Thanks again -Ricky

rarbona1029

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2016
So you just let the silicone set and then filled it? You didn't let it sit somewhere safe and full of water? Especially when doing it myself I'd definitely have let it sit full for a week or two to be sure.
I let it sit completely full for 5 days in the garage. figured that was enough. haha guess not

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store