Repairing a light bar.

Hwom91

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Oregon, IL
I could use some help. I bought a used 55 and the bar doesn't work. IV replaced bulbs and ballast and it still won't turn on. IV got it apart but truthfully I don't know what else to do. Any ideas? It takes 2 24" bulbs.

bulldovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2012
Fairfield, Illinois
I am by no means an expert but you should check and clean all the wired connections including the power switch. Make sure there is no rust or moisture anywhere.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Have you replaced the starter? It's the small cylinder that plugs in and only costs a couple of bucks to replace. Otherwise you'll probably be better off just buying a new one instead of spending much more time and money trying to fix that one.

Hwom91

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Oregon, IL
Yes I replaced those. So far I have cleaned all connections. It's gotten late so I will try after work tomorrow. Thanks for the help

SupeDM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2009
Minnesota
I buy these lights not working all the time. 90% of the time the switch is bad. If it isnt the switch i try a starter off a light i know works. Then i try bulbs i know work. Leaving the good starter in. Then I clean all connections. Then i replace the endcaps. Then I replace ballast. If it gets to point where all things I know are good like bulbs, starter, switch and connections are all clean sometimes I just scrap it. I can usually get these for $2-3 in not working condition.

Hwom91

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Oregon, IL
You were right. The switch was bad. Getting one tomorrow. Will post how it all goes

Hwom91

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Oregon, IL
Ended up getting a switch from a friend and found a ballast is bad. Wired the whole light to one ballast and found a bad bulb. It's frustrating but I'll have a new bulb tomorrow and be up and running. These lights are pretty easy to work on. Thank you all again for the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store