replacing a broken aquarium frame

fishead2925

Feeder Fish
Nov 15, 2015
I'm working on re-sealing a 75 gallon and the frame cracked in the process. I found a website that has a good price but I am concerned about a statement in their FAQ section. They said that a well constructed tank doesn't need frame for support but it is more for Aesthetics. That is the opposite to everything that I have heard in the past. Does their statement make sence? Do I need to even worry about the Crack in my frame? Should I replace the top and bottom frame? If anyone can help me out or shedd some light I would really appreciate it. Thank you friends.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm no builder but I wouldnt trust a large tank without a top frame.I would expect the sides to start to bow outward at some point plus a standard hood would not fit properly.
Where exactly is the crack in the frame?

fishead2925

Feeder Fish
Nov 15, 2015
I'm no builder but I wouldnt trust a large tank without a top frame.I would expect the sides to start to bow outward at some point plus a standard hood would not fit properly.
The crack is in the corner and goes down on about a 45 degree angle.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Its a 75g, dont cheap out by resealing it. Buy a Brand new dont even cost that much. Petland has $25 delivery fee if u dont have a car

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Does the tank have a center top glass or side top glass?
My understanding has always been that the frames that are one piece and are conected front and back with a center piece are for a structural support. The mitered corner multiple piece frames are just to protect the glass from chipping.

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
I have a 125 that has seen a lot of the country. It has multiple cracks in the frame. (I always seem to move in the winter:mad:) It is up and running and is completely fine. The ring all the around the tank is cosmetic BUT the center brace(s) are what matter. As long as there is no damage to the brace and the cracks are not in line with the brace you should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store