REPTILE LIICENSE !! Suggestions?! :D

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
How about an Australian coral snake (Brachyurophis australis) as they stay small (maybe 10" to 12"), are brightly colored, and can be obtained at any permit level. They are fossorial, so expect it to burrow a lot. You could easily set something up so that it's pretty much always viewable by making artificial tunnels out of craft foam board in a similar fashion to DIY 3D aquarium backgrounds.

Brachyurophis_australis2.jpg

The one catch is that they are weakly venomous, but their venom is of no medical consequence, e.g. less potent than a bee-sting. I wouldn't handle it as a result, but it's not like its going to kill you unless you happen to have venom allergies and get envenomed. Furthermore, if the venom was of any consequence, then it wouldn't be obtainable to anyone with a permit rather it would require one of the higher level permits.

All in all, I say go for one if you're fine with its super weak venom; it seems to be your best bet for something small & colorful.

Brachyurophis_australis2.jpg

Brewster320

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Mass, USA
Any snake can bite you and most snakes will tame down if you handle them often. I've had snakes that as babies wanted to kill me but as they grew, even just day to day interactions and no real handling, have calmed down to the point I'll let anyone who wants to hold a snake handle them.

I do have a few snakes that hate me but I could probably reduce there aggression by interacting with them more.

In fact one of them, a 3ft Central American boa I rescued whose suffered from stunted growth, was pissed as hell at me because when I first got her. I had to work with her so much because she wouldn't eat for six months, had respiratory issues, was dehydrated, and had poor sheds. So for the first year she would lunge at me whenever she had the chance and sit there mouth open doing the most intimidating hiss you could ever imagine coming from this little snake. Recently though she has started to calm down greatly. She still would probably bite me given the chance but she longer tries to whenever I open her enclosure or try to move her around and she rarely if ever hisses anymore. Give her another few months and she may even be handable.

With snakes it's all a matter of time and how much effort you're willing to put into it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1333469156.319588.jpg

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
Disappointing news guys.... my dad wont allow a snake in the house....being from a south asian family...its hard to convince him...I tried alot...cant do it until I get my own place.... sigh... I would rather have something awesome in a 25 gallon...rather than small fish :(

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Disappointing news guys.... my dad wont allow a snake in the house....being from a south asian family...its hard to convince him...I tried alot...cant do it until I get my own place.... sigh... I would rather have something awesome in a 25 gallon...rather than small fish :(
You could always get a lizard as there are some pretty cool lizards that you can get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store