Resealing leaky tank

robnin2002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
la mirada,ca
Just got a 125 that has a small small small small leak but none the less i want to fix it now before i fill it up all the way. As everyone knows the sealant from the lfs are expensive and small bottles. I want to reseal the whole thing. Is there a certain sealant i can buy at a hardware store thats non toxic and safe for fish since its such a big tank? I dont want to have to buy 6-7 of those small ones.
Thanks ahead of time for any input

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I use GE Silicone I, its available at most major hardware stores and has worked for me for years ;)

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
THIS ^^^^^^

Used it many times before myself.
Make sure to cut the old silicone out 1st or it will leak again. maybe not now maybe not for 10 years but rest assured it will.

You don't have to get it all out 100% just so you can get it tight back into the corners.

I'm OCD and remove 96 97 % of it. just did a 30 g this spring and cut it till the end pane was lose.

re sealed it and it hasn't leaked yet. ( been up since may)

Rich

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
So, I'm new to resealing, but a silicon with better strength ratings is worth the extra 10 bucks a tube in my opinion. I was able to peel off ge 1 with far less effort than the scs1200 i used to reseal my 75.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Yes, as long as there is no antibacterial rating on it. Thats counter productive in fishkeeping.

Also look at this products box it came out of...should say GE silicone 1 on it someplace... vs GE silicone2.

And yes there are better products, but this is readily available and does the job quite well.

Clean and prep your tank well before applying (a little rubbing alcohol or some vinegar works well)
Tape your lines for a pro look.
Use a wet paper towel (or roll) to clean the excess when you spread the silicone into the seam, this makes it less messy and is what the contractors showed me when caulking back splashes in dental offices.

It might be DIY and done inexpensively, but it is OK to make it *look* like is was done by a pro!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Stay away from GE I and II, that stuff is garbage for resealing a tank. It is a sealant, not an adhesive. It does not have the strength long term to hold together a large tank. Sure, some people have it hold for weeks or months, some may even pass the year mark. But it is really worth cheaping out on the silicone when in all reality it will likely be the cheapest thing you buy for your tank?

The RTV series of silicone is the best. Yes, it is about $13 a tube but that will be a lot cheaper than drying out your house.

Clear-
http://www.grainger.com/product/MOMENTIVE-RTV-Silicone-Sealant-4UH12?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4UH09_AS01?$smthumb$

Black-
http://www.grainger.com/product/MOMENTIVE-RTV-Silicone-Sealant-4UH10?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4UH10_AS01?$smthumb$

I've seen the GE I and II blow out several times on all different size tanks from 15 gallons all the way up past 150. In most of the cases the bead was perfect, it was no fault of the builder besides using crappy silicone for the job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store