Retics! Does anybody still keep these???

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
The Red Caqueta look better than normal Retics IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I personally have never seen one of the reds for sale or anyone who is keeping them so I would be interested to see some pics if someone does indeed have any reds?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
ECZS has brought them in in the past.

The one I saw in person was an adult female that gave birth to 1 pup in the LFS tank. Not spectacular but ok color and pattern.
Only one they ever brought in to the best of my knowledge. They stock Retics and have had 1 Castexi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
As we have bred and even hybridized all the other variants, I'm surprised we have not mastered this one. Where are the droves of breeders for retics as there are for hystrix, motoros, and leopoldi?? If they were captive bred, we would not have to consider the trauma of all the long term shipping.

I think people buy them as a stater Ray then buy them not feeding they die and then people think rays are hard to keep

I don't think you see many breeders because it's not worth the effort as pups sell for so cheap less than $40 in the UK
It also costs the same to feed and breed other better looking rays retic are also not that active from what I remember

biggfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
MO
They are cheaper for sure which is why I think more people would by them. There aren't many people that'd spend $100+ on a fish... Since they sell for so cheap I'd expect pet shops to be able to move more of them.

montyblue

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
US
I normally lurk here ;) but I came across this tonight while reading threads that I missed. I had a great pair of retic rays. Had pups several times, and they all did great. They are no longer with me, as I have a love of the 'fatter' rays (wanted to focus on the hystrix and leos), but they were a lot of fun to keep! Here are some of the pups that they had about a year and a half ago. 8 pups total (one was on the other side of the tank for this pic), although one was just partially developed. The remaining 7 did great. Their last litter they had while I still had them was only 4 pups, but they did just as well as this group (and were bigger when born).

Screen shot 2015-01-27 at 10.17.45 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-01-27 at 10.17.45 PM.png

biggfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
MO
I normally lurk here ;) but I came across this tonight while reading threads that I missed. I had a great pair of retic rays. Had pups several times, and they all did great. They are no longer with me, as I have a love of the 'fatter' rays (wanted to focus on the hystrix and leos), but they were a lot of fun to keep! Here are some of the pups that they had about a year and a half ago. 8 pups total (one was on the other side of the tank for this pic), although one was just partially developed. The remaining 7 did great. Their last litter they had while I still had them was only 4 pups, but they did just as well as this group (and were bigger when born).

View attachment 1056074
Very nice Montyblue! What size tank did you breed them in?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Nice looking pups! Any pictures of the parents?

montyblue

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
US
Thanks, guys! I could kick myself, but I don't have any pics of the parents! I do have a couple videos buried somewhere on my computer from when the female is pregnant, but that's all the way over in another room ;) I'll have to see if I can dig it up to post :)

They were in a 125 temporarily, and actually bred in that before I transferred them to a 300. Kept the male in the 300 after the breeding. Male was about 9" in diameter, and the female was about 14".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store