Return Pumps

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
I'm still trying to decide on which return pump to go with for 500 gallon tub..

Mag24 seems to be reliable-but use a lot of electricity.

Fluvalsp6 sounds good on paper, but I don't know anyone who has actually used one...

Pondmaster hy drive seem to really move a lot of water at a decent price- but I can't find many reviews.

What are some reliable pumps fellow MFK members like for their ray tanks??? Max head for normal operation of filtration will be 3 foot with one 90 degree elbow. I plan to make a T so I can close valve for water change purposes.

For water changes I'm not as concerned about fast discharge of water. Just want a reliable pump for keeping the tank clean:)

IMG_2037.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm still trying to decide on which return pump to go with for 500 gallon tub..

Mag24 seems to be reliable-but use a lot of electricity.

Fluvalsp6 sounds good on paper, but I don't know anyone who has actually used one...

Pondmaster hy drive seem to really move a lot of water at a decent price- but I can't find many reviews.

What are some reliable pumps fellow MFK members like for their ray tanks??? Max head for normal operation of filtration will be 3 foot with one 90 degree elbow. I plan to make a T so I can close valve for water change purposes.

For water changes I'm not as concerned about fast discharge of water. Just want a reliable pump for keeping the tank clean:)

View attachment 1208857
I have fluval sp2 and sp4 they are great pumps I've recommended to other places

EAC007219

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2015
I have fluval sp2 and sp4 they are great pumps I've recommended to other places
Thank you for the info. I've decided to try sp6 to get the tub up and running. But will plumb tub with bulkheads for future external pump.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I use a Mag pump for my tank.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Ive used alot of pondmaster hydrives they are prob my favorite

I have a reflo that is ok too

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
If you are going submersible you cant beat Lagunas for performance, efficiency, quietness and reliability. I run dual 4280's Max Flo
I am sure there is probably stronger better external pumps out there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store