RIP......

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
greenearthlawns;3009620; said:
geez how big are those massivore pellets? I can't believe that could kill fish... I also am curious if it could have been a ph shock? did you test the ph? mabye with the water change and then adding the prime there was too much of a fluctuation especially if ph is high then that ammonia and nitrite would be even more toxic... so sorry for you loss those were some nice fishes!!!
View attachment 350884they are for large predatory fish...large catfish...arowana and other monster fish as an alternative to feeding live food...Sinking fish food is ideal for bottom feeding carnivorous fish*Excellent alternative to feeding live food to large aquarium fish*Vitamin-fortified food promotes healthy fish and vibrant coloration

Scientific diet for super-sized carnivorous fish. Large, easy-to-feed sinking pellets reduce parasite or bacteria transfer common with live foods. Nutritionally complete to offer higher levels of necessary vitamins and minerals. Great for large catfish. Please click on "More Information" for ingredients, guaranteed analysis, typical analysis, and added vitamins and minerals.
Ingredients: Fish meal, krill meal, starch, fish oil, wheat flour, dried seaweed meal, spirulina, brewer's dried yeast, dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, astaxanthin, canthaxanthin, DL-methionine, L-lysine, Vitamin A oil, Vitamin D3 supplement, Vitamin E supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K), choline chloride, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized Vitamin C), inositol, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, niacin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, ferrous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, cobalt sulfate, copper sulfate calcium iodate.

Guaranteed Analysis:Crude protein
47.0% min​

Crude fat
5.0% min​

Crude fiber
3.0% max​

Moisture
10.0% max​

Crude ash
17.0% max​

Phosphorus
1.0% min​

Typical Analysis:Crude protein
51.0% min​

Crude fat
10.0% min​

Crude fiber
0.9% max​

Crude ash
14.0% max​

Phosphorus
2.0% min​

Added Vitamins and Minerals:Vitamin A
48,000 IU/kg (21,700 IU/lb)​

Vitamin C (Stabilized)
180 mg/kg (81.8 mg/lb)​

Vitamin D3
9,600 IU/kg (4,350 IU/lb)​

Vitamin E
1,100 mg/kg (499 mg/lb)​

Copper Sulfate
16 mg/kg (7.26 mg/lb)​

:Jon Leeke
Portland, ME
Once my Columbian Sharks got 1' long, I had a heck of a time feeding them. All the shrimp pellets were too small to be noticed (or they didn't care for them any more). With this product, though, they gobble it right up! I'm very pleased with it and so are they! Its great food for the right fish..

L A R R Y

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Texas
Red Devil;3009602; said:
not written in stone... and this does not mean that this definitly happened... it is what i think happened though,..... i still believe that massivore pellets was the a culprit... dats,arowana and clown knife fish are predators and can eat this food and thrive... but giving these to cichlids i learned first hand that it can kill... meant for my clown knife my severum ate the pellet instead... next day it was dead...sometimes it is a slow death and bloat etc sets in.. and it does not happen to every cichlid.. but ciclids are at risk...they should not be fed the massiovore ...

It wasn't intended that your mentioning that massivore was the definitive culprit of what caused the deaths, it was meant to say that was a suggestion of yours. Sometimes things don't get typed as they are flowing through my head :nilly:

L A R R Y

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Texas
greenearthlawns;3009620; said:
geez how big are those massivore pellets? I can't believe that could kill fish... I also am curious if it could have been a ph shock? did you test the ph? mabye with the water change and then adding the prime there was too much of a fluctuation especially if ph is high then that ammonia and nitrite would be even more toxic... so sorry for you loss those were some nice fishes!!!
Normally, I don't check the PH but I will check it periodically

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
L A R R Y;3009942; said:
It wasn't intended that your mentioning that massivore was the definitive culprit of what caused the deaths, it was meant to say that was a suggestion of yours. Sometimes things don't get typed as they are flowing through my head :nilly:
i am glad you mentioned it... i would be like you and question and question until i knew for certain... and even now i don't know why your fish died for certain... it is just my theory.. because it happened to me... :D

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Red Devil;3009602; said:
not written in stone... and this does not mean that this definitly happened... it is what i think happened though,..... i still believe that massivore pellets was the a culprit... dats,arowana and clown knife fish are predators and can eat this food and thrive... but giving these to cichlids i learned first hand that it can kill... meant for my clown knife my severum ate the pellet instead... next day it was dead...sometimes it is a slow death and bloat etc sets in.. and it does not happen to every cichlid.. but ciclids are at risk...they should not be fed the massiovore ...
Sorry Liz, no disrespect intended, but I have to disagree on this one. Massivore is fine for cichlids imo.
I've never lost a single cichlid to bloat and mine eat it daily along with NLS.

04-09-09 This & That 089.JPG

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
balton777;3010023; said:
Sorry Liz, no disrespect intended, but I have to disagree on this one. Massivore is fine for cichlids imo.
I've never lost a single cichlid to bloat and mine eat it daily along with NLS.

View attachment 350927
how big are your cichlids... well anyway.. i am glad it works for you..

A Daily Diet For Larger Caenivorous Fish Or Bottom Feeding Monster Fishes
An x-large pellets for your monster fish offering superior benefits over live foods.

1. Superior Benefits Over Live Foods: Specially developed for the needs of most carnivorous fish, without the potential for parasite or bacteria transfer common with live foods. Offers complete and balanced nutrition with higher levels of the vitamins and minerals your pet needs.
  2. Extremely Palatable: Developed after extensive study and analysis of the sense of sight, smell and taste of numerous carnivorous fish. Inclusion of key ingredients like DL-methionine and L-lysine allow us to produce a food most larger carnivorous fish are eager to eat.
  3. An X-Large Pellet Big Fish Love: A porous pellet that softens quickly by rapidly absorbing water. This nugget sized pellet will satisfy the hunger of your monster fish by retaining its shape. Best of all it will never cloud or negatively impact your pet’s water.
  4. Natural Beauty They Desire: To promote the development of brilliant colors in fish who’s natural environment is exposed to higher levels of UV from the sun, we include the highest grade of carotenoid we could develop through modern bio-technology. Now your fish can look as good as you expected them to, always!
    *Test Goldfish were approximately 1.3g total body weight.
Feed once a day, an amount your fish will eat within a few minutes. Carnivorous fish may resist a new type of food when changing from live foods or less protein rich diets, continued use will assure acceptance. Care should be taken to avoid over-feeding and always remove uneaten food after the feeding period. Note:®HIKARI TROPICAL MASSIVORE DELITE™ contains higher levels of natural ingredients which may cause a slight change in color from one production lot to another. Rest assured because of our rigid quality standards each package meets our superior nutritional specifications. Developed, produced and packaged in our facilities so we can be assured you’ll always get the ®Hikari quality you expect!
We recommend Hikari Massivore Delite Pellets as a daily diet for Super-sized bottom feeding carnivorous fish especially red-tailed cats, sharks, polypterus(bichirs), eels, and carnivorous plecostmus that are normally fed live foods.
Crude ProteinCrude FatCrude FiberMoistureCrude AshPhosphorusmin. 47%min. 5.0%max. 3.0%max. 10%max. 17%min.1.0%ri themself only recommend this food to large monster fish... so i am glad you fish have no problems...

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
wow im so sorry for your loss! youre GT and festae were absolutely beautiful-whether it was the massiovore or not i cant say, but if that was the ONLY change you have made then it may end up being that.. i dont know.

they looked to be really healthy fish-hopefully no one else is affected by whatever is going on in the tank!

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Red Devil;3010080; said:
how big are your cichlids... well anyway.. i am glad it works for you..
I'm sorry you had a bad experience but you only cited one example and it's not even a definite cause of death. "meant for my clown knife my severum ate the pellet instead... next day it was dead..." I can't believe that because your severum ate one pellet that the next day it was dead from the pellet. My fish are all different sizes from 3" to 13". I think Polomax uses Massivore for his cichlids too and his fish are always healthy as can be. I really believe Larry's cichlid's cause of death is from something else.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
balton777;3010229; said:
I'm sorry you had a bad experience but you only cited one example and it's not even a definite cause of death. "meant for my clown knife my severum ate the pellet instead... next day it was dead..." I can't believe that because your severum ate one pellet that the next day it was dead from the pellet. My fish are all different sizes from 3" to 13". I think Polomax uses Massivore for his cichlids too and his fish are always healthy as can be. I really believe Larry's cichlid's cause of death is from something else.
This is true..one example only.. beautiful severum ...my best one lost.. i saw it eat them... although i tried to avoid it.. two pellets at least.. now i feed the massivore with thongs and put them in the clown knifes cave.. in case i am right ..just be cautious..

L A R R Y

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2008
Texas
navygirl76;3010120; said:
wow im so sorry for your loss! youre GT and festae were absolutely beautiful-whether it was the massiovore or not i cant say, but if that was the ONLY change you have made then it may end up being that.. i dont know.

they looked to be really healthy fish-hopefully no one else is affected by whatever is going on in the tank!

The feeding of massivore was the only change that I did, and it was a very light feeding to see how they would take it. They all were healthy vibrant fish, no one was skiddish in the tank, they all swam around with the occasional chasing that didn't last more than a few seconds. I do not know what the cause was, but I want to explore every possibility of what caused it. Could have been with the w/c as we have experienced some rain this week so I do not know if that day the water dept had done something different over the time we got rain.....

shrugs shoulders

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store