Rivermuds Glass and Acrylic Calculator (it lives)

AdzyHany

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 5, 2011
peterborough, Ontario, Canada
In on my phone here and its not working for me. Could someone punch in 108"x72"x36" then the same just at 4' deep instead of 3'. Just want to see what this calculator suggests.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
at 36" depth with a 3.8 sf it recommends .93. At 48" with 3.8 sf it recommends 1.39.

Remember a 3.8 safety factor is meant for an all glass unsupported tank. You'll probably want to play with the tool on a pc to get the measurements you need for your build.

Desdinova

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2010
Kentucky
Hey River, what type of glass is this based on? When I'm talking to people who do glass for a living, they're probably going to use words that I don't know. One local shop can't temper glass, but they can make other kinds on site, which is what I want... I think. Should I request a certain type?

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
Hey River, what type of glass is this based on? When I'm talking to people who do glass for a living, they're probably going to use words that I don't know. One local shop can't temper glass, but they can make other kinds on site, which is what I want... I think. Should I request a certain type?
Well lemme see here... glass is made several different ways, of course there is tempered but there is also standard glass that is made with different things such as iron etc that affect the clarity. We generally don't use tempered because in the event of a catastrophe tempered glass shatters and poof there goes your fish flying across the carpet as the water rushes out of your tank. For the sake of simplicity the manufacturers have fudged a bit with their safety numbers which is a good thing, we'd hate to advocate the bare minimum in security. With all of that said, while some clearer glass may be a bit more brittle the standard SF should more than compensate especially if you use framing and cross bracing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store