Rocks and Fossils: Does Anyone Else Collect Them?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! I'm not sure if I've asked about this before, so sorry if this is a repeat but does anyone else collect gemstones and fossils? If so, what is your favorite/best specimen(s) and also what gem(s) or fossil(s) do you really want to add to your collection.

I'll go first: My favorite gemstone specimens are my polished Labradorite crystals (ones I actually just put in my tank) and a medium sized chunk of Malachite. My favorite fossil specimens are my large fish fossil and my wooly rhino tooth.

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Hey y'all! I'm not sure if I've asked about this before, so sorry if this is a repeat but does anyone else collect gemstones and fossils? If so, what is your favorite/best specimen(s) and also what gem(s) or fossil(s) do you really want to add to your collection.

I'll go first: My favorite gemstone specimens are my polished Labradorite crystals (ones I actually just put in my tank) and a medium sized chunk of Malachite. My favorite fossil specimens are my large fish fossil and my wooly rhino tooth.
You can’t just casually mention you have cool fossils and gemstones without sharing pictures! Never collected anything myself, but I often see videos online of people that do. I think I’ve unintentionally introduced it into my social media algorithms lol. Always thought it was super interesting.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
You can’t just casually mention you have cool fossils and gemstones without sharing pictures! Never collected anything myself, but I often see videos online of people that do. I think I’ve unintentionally introduced it into my social media algorithms lol. Always thought it was super interesting.
Yeah I can post some pics, I just have to take them first XD

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Not quite a fossil, but the nearest I got was twenty five years ago, I had the chance to buy for virtually nothing, great chunks of petrified trees. Quite obviously cylindrical parts of tree trunks, and also obviously rock, and not wood.

I didn't, and I am sorry now. Don't know how I would have got them home, they must have weight more than a ton each.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Ok, so I finally had some time to take pictures of my collection so here goes nothing lol. I shall start with fossils/animal parts first (don't take that the wrong way, I know some of you will):

Box of Fossils:

My Box of Fossils.jpg
Orthoceras Specimens:
Orthoceras Fossils.jpg
Lemon Shark Jaw (not fossilized) and Fossil Fish:
Shark Jaw and Fish Fossils.jpg
Largest Specimens:
(In order from top left; Clam, Coral, Shark Tooth and Plant (I think))
Largest Fossils of Each Kind.jpg
Trilobite Geode:
Trilobite Geode.jpg

Last edited:

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Gemstones:

Box of Rocks:

Box of Rocks.jpg
Gemstone Animal Collection Along with Random Piece of Black Kyanite:
(In a horn bowl)
My Gemstone Animal Collection and a Random Piece of Black Kyanite.jpg
Carnelian Diamond on Stand:
Carnelian Diamond.jpg
Septarian Egg Nodule on Jade Base:
Septarian Egg Nodule on Jade Base.jpg

Sorry some of these pictures are crappy, if you want me to take a picture of a specific gemstone lmk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store