Rookie Mistake - Help?

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
It was definitely cat hair - I found more stuck to the outside of the glass, and the culprit sleeping under the tank. I'll try to encourage her to hang out elsewhere, but she's pretty low key so I doubt she's been doing anything especially antagonistic to them. Still probably best that she not drink out of the filters.

The new driftwood was leaching tannins but no sap, so I chucked it in. Fingers crossed. No pics yet but I'll get some soon. It looks good and the Crime Fish were exploring it pretty actively today. I'm excited about it. It had been in a woodpile for over a year so I'm optimistic.

I have added potatoes to the HOBs - turns out lots of people use sweet potatoes because they grow as well as pothos and the plant itself is pretty, but I only had plain brown potatoes on hand, so we'll see.

I'm positive that the API kit would work well on milk, but I realized I don't want to pull 5ml off the mares every time I want to test, so they're safe from that. For now.

Anyone who's been following my posts will laugh at this - I went back to my LFS today. The kid recognized me immediately and was like, "hey, look at all these cool catfish we have in today!" I told him about my mistake in buying Crime Fish when I'd been looking for Synodontis Nigriventris. He hadn't known about Crime Fish either, so we checked his "upside down catfish" tank - today, instead of Secret Murder Fish, their "upside down catfish" were in fact Synodontis Nigriventris... so I bought them 😂😂😂.

I also got 5 Hara Jerdoni, and put all 8 new kids in the Carrot Box. Guess I'm building my community of oddball cats after all. I wanted to get some shrimp for the Carrot Box, too, but their shrimp seemed awfully expensive for something I'll probably kill, so I refrained. They were out of pictus, so the pictus experiment will have to wait. They had a variety of other cool catfish which were all pretty tempting, but I didn't want to take home anything else I haven't already read about before taking it home - once was enough. I really wanted their featherfin squeakers (okay and all the other cool catfish), but it didn't seem like a great plan.

Also, while the Brothers in Crime were checking out their new wood piece tonight, I noticed that they've both grown a lot, but Blackie is now noticeably bigger, while before they were pretty identical. Maybe they're different sexes, maybe it's just that they're different individuals. Jamiroquai is growing a streamer on his tail fin, Blackie isn't.

Orchids will definitely rot if they're left in forever. I wait til they look like they want out, put them in the Dry Box until they're dry, and then put them back in the water. Not very scientific, but they haven't died yet *shrug.*

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
Where are the Crime Fish? It's a mystery! I'm liking the blackwater look in there, and actually I think I'm not loving the tank plants - they take away from the blackwater look. I've always been a fan of tank plants simply because of the water quality assistance, but I may pull some out and rely on the HOB plants for that.

Carrot Box needs more furniture for the fish. Hmm - maybe they can have some of the Crime Plants, and then Crime Box can be dark and creepy, and Carrot Box can be cheerful and green!

20240415_105310.jpg

20240415_105226.jpg

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
One of the Hara Jerdoni has perished. On close inspection of his wee remains, I noticed that he looked pretty battered - there are no criminals in the Carrot Box, so for now I'm ruling his death an accident due to misadventure in transit, but I'm watching closely. I should have put him under the microscope to check more closely, but dead fish are gross so I tossed him out the window to feed the artichokes below.

Those things are FUN (the alive Hara Jerdoni, I mean). During the day they just sit still, but in the evenings they bounce around exploring, including climbing the hornwort like a tree and perching in it like tiny birds!

The Synodontis Nigriventris are also really entertaining in the evening, chasing each other around like cories. I had a trio of them before and *never* saw them, so I wonder if these will become more reclusive with age. I've read that they're more confident and therefore more active in larger groups, so I plan to pick up a few more. I'd intended to go back to the same LFS next weekend, but I just heard that my area's supposedly biggest and best LFS, which had a fire and has been closed for repairs for years, is having their grand reopening tonight. If I can make it, that will be... dangerous 😂

I saw the Crime Fish sparring last night. It didn't turn into a brawl, and lasted only seconds, but I'm watching them *really* closely. They're growing at an alarming rate - Blackie faster than Jamiroquai - and I'm working on getting a bigger tank. I'm going to be so mad if they need separate large tanks. I'm going to start with one and see how it goes, since so far the scuffles have been brief and there's no fin damage. If it gets brutal, Blackie will get the first big tank I can find in my budget (not only is he larger but he's also the clear favorite) and Jamiroquai will just have to wait.

20240417_111319.jpg

20240417_111417.jpg

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
Well, I got a 125 gallon (and stand!) off FB marketplace for $150.

This thing is scratched to hell and quite dirty - thick algae on the glass, and I just filled it on my back porch to start taking a crack at cleaning it, and so far I've fished out 3-4 dead baby cichlids.

But the dimensions are right - a lot of the big tanks for sale in my area are shorter and deeper, and I think the Crime Fish will prefer the 72" length - and the glass is sturdy as hell and this should clean up nicely. And the stand isn't too tall - I want to be able to reach in the tank without needing a ladder.

I'm really intimidated by this next chapter in my Big Fish Adventure, but I have known since I discovered my species mistake that if I wanted to keep the Crime Fish they'd need a bigger house, so I am going to make this work.

Oh, and I got pictus!

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
I should have taken a before pic. This is during.

Scraped off most of the algae with a credit card. Made most of the rest of the scratches my b*tch with an impact driver with a plastic brush attachment and baking soda paste, followed by a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (and dollar store imitations, which my dog helpfully ripped in half for me to make into even more sponges!) It'll always have scratches on very close inspection, but it's not noticeable when full.

One thing I didn't take into account is what a pain it's going to be to get this thing really thoroughly rinsed out to get rid of the baking soda. Next time I get it empty I'll have Mr. Heck help me lift it off the stand and get the stand out of the way so I can spray the snot out of the tank without soaking the poor old stand.

The insides of both of my biceps are SUPER bruised from the tank rim - it looks like someone strong grabbed me by the arms and shook me. It's tank top weather here - at home/work it's no big deal since it's pretty normal for horse girls to be bruised up, and my clients/associates will just ask me if they're curious - but I may need to wear long sleeves to town for a week.

20240425_083634.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If you were cleaning the tank right on the stand, yes, for a normal height person this is awkward, unless you use a high enough step or a stepstool. I am 6-2 and long armed and it hurts the inside of my biceps too when I have to do a lot of work inside our 240 gal tanks, which are eurobraced al around.

Sorry, I didn't understand the part about taking out scratches on glass with a motorized plastic brush and backing soda? I never knew glass scratches can be polished out, nor that they can be polished out that way. Unless these scratches are of microscopic depth? Also, why impact drill?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Heck

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2024
Sacramento, CA
I'm sure it really just cleaned the algae out of the scratches and made them less visible rather than really getting them off. Regardless, it's super satisfying.

And the reason to use an impact driver or drill is because it's faster. And more satisfying.

20240426_145304.jpg

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store