Ropefish Care Website

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
Previously I posted a thread asking for photos of ropefish to be used in a care website I was creating. I have now finished the website, and would like to share it with the community.

Any suggestions or criticism are welcome. Also please let me know if something isn't working as intended, or doesn't look right/could look better.

theropefish.com

Thank you and I hope someone finds this website helpful.

bottomdweller72

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2017
Florida
This was great MooseTheWizard MooseTheWizard ! I especially loved the section on foods, I learned quite a bit :) and just to add another way to sex the ropes, best when there are multiples, the females are usually lighter in color than males. Females tend to be more of a golden and males tend to be more olive.

This had lots more info than many other sites as it came from more experience than textbook Wikipedia type sites.

Reactions: MooseTheWizard

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
just to add another way to sex the ropes, best when there are multiples, the females are usually lighter in color than males. Females tend to be more of a golden and males tend to be more olive.
I have noticed that myself with my own ropefish. However due to how easy it is to sex them by their anal fin and the unreliability of using colour as a guide (many things impact colour such as stress and environment colouration), I have chosen to not include it. I think there is value in keeping things simple.

bottomdweller72

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2017
Florida
I have noticed that myself with my own ropefish. However due to how easy it is to sex them by their anal fin and the unreliability of using colour as a guide (many things impact colour such as stress and environment colouration), I have chosen to not include it. I think there is value in keeping things simple.

Good point! I actually didn't know any other way to sex them, so again, I learned something from your site :)

Reactions: MooseTheWizard

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I like the work you put in to it. The site is easy to use and well set up.
You may want to add to the food section as you may deter someone not well versed in fish keeping that they will only eat raw meat. Not everyone is willing to go to that extent to feed their fish. There is a ton of acceptable prepared foods also that Ropes and Polys are more then willing to eat that are well rounded diets that don't require that type of work.
Just my thoughts.

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
I like the work you put in to it. The site is easy to use and well set up.
You may want to add to the food section as you may deter someone not well versed in fish keeping that they will only eat raw meat. Not everyone is willing to go to that extent to feed their fish. There is a ton of acceptable prepared foods also that Ropes and Polys are more then willing to eat that are well rounded diets that don't require that type of work.
Just my thoughts.
I personally do not believe in feeding pellet food to any animals, especially carnivores. While I am aware that it is widely accepted in the hobby and the vast majority of fish keepers feed manufactured foods, I do not like feeding wheat to my animals. I do not think that it takes much work to prepare a fully fresh/frozen diet, especially if it's done in large batches.

If someone would like to feed pellets I will not criticize them, but they'll have to seek out sources that are not myself. I know oscarfish.com has a food rating guide that is well respected - I'll consider adding a link to it somewhere on the diet page.

Reactions: twentyleagues

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I love the site only 2 things to note in the care section mine actually prefer the high flow side of my tank constantly playing in the output. Also in the fish size section you say the max size is 18" then the next sentence says "This is the size one should expect when purchasing the fish." While I think 18" is bigger than most people will see I do believe it is possible. However the next line is confusing making people think this is the size to expect in stores not the 7"-11" I usually see.

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
I love the site only 2 things to note in the care section mine actually prefer the high flow side of my tank constantly playing in the output. Also in the fish size section you say the max size is 18" then the next sentence says "This is the size one should expect when purchasing the fish." While I think 18" is bigger than most people will see I do believe it is possible. However the next line is confusing making people think this is the size to expect in stores not the 7"-11" I usually see.
I have noticed that my ropefish do seem to prefer the flow more than the bichirs do. I'll edit that section to suggest a medium flow to stagnant gradient.

I see how that could be a confusing section. It is meant to imply that the purchaser should anticipate the fish to reach 18", and thus should keep that in mind when putting together an enclosure. I'll edit the wording.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store