Ropefish Pictures

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
I am currently working on developing a website that will provide articles on ropefish care, feeding, breeding progress, etc. The website is being created as there is an unfortunate lack of concise information regarding the species. It is my goal to accumulate everything I can into one, easy to access place so that people working on breeding efforts, or simply caring for the fish, will have an easier time accessing valuable information.

The end goal is to develop something akin to oscarfish.com. Forums will not be present in the first push of the website, but they'll be present shortly.

The site is not currently live, but the domain has been purchased and the site will be hosted at theropefish.com.

I am reaching out to the community here as I am in need of photos of your ropefish. I need pictures for headers and to flesh out articles. Any quality photos you may have of your fish would be invaluable to me, and if you are willing I would ask that you let me use them in the website. While I cannot offer money, I will be sure to credit you (by name or username) in the caption of the photo.

This website is not a revenue stream. I will be making 0 money from this. There will be no ads. This is solely for educational purposes.

If this post is not permitted, I apologize. I thank the community in advance for any help you're able to provide.

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
Where and how do you want pics? What about vids?
I have a bunch of photos also.
Upload them to whatever is convenient to you, and I can save them from there. Alternatively, you can send me pictures/videos at theropefish@gmail.com. Please include the name you would like the photos to be captioned with.

The site is also now live, you can view it at http://www.theropefish.com. It is still a heavy WIP, but suggestions and criticisms are welcome. The next features to be implemented will be an article page which will allow me to open submissions for articles, followed by a few write ups for some other oddball fish I have (namely Paratilapia polleni and Boulengerella xyrekes). I will then probably put together a page of other valuable Polypteridae resources (linking back to the MFK subforum of course), and then finally a functional contact page.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
There are Some general bio of reedfish/ropefish/'scientific lenghty name' online. There's several hobbyists who posted some good info dedicated to this specie. Have u cross referenced some of those sites? They're also some way too scientific info on them on Researchgate.com. Such as their movements on land and breathing. Real nerdy stuff, lol....

Aside from photos. Are there anything you'd like this group to assist with? Max size (good luck!!!l lol), how they're caught via soap methods, catch locale, etc.... :)

Reactions: clm08k

MooseTheWizard

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Canada
There are Some general bio of reedfish/ropefish/'scientific lenghty name' online. There's several hobbyists who posted some good info dedicated to this specie. Have u cross referenced some of those sites? They're also some way too scientific info on them on Researchgate.com. Such as their movements on land and breathing. Real nerdy stuff, lol....

Aside from photos. Are there anything you'd like this group to assist with? Max size (good luck!!!l lol), how they're caught via soap methods, catch locale, etc.... :)
I'll look into Researchgate. It might be something worth adding to a Resources page.

Any ideas that anyone may have for pages would be valuable to know. I did not think to write anything about how they're caught, but I think that would be a very interesting article and is something I'll do some more research into and hopefully get done this week. If anything should motivate people to try and breed these fish, it should be how they're caught in the wild.

One of the most valuable things that I could get would be people who have bred the fish with any success. I would like to compile all the breeding attempts (successes and failures) available with hope that in time we may be able to get it down to a science. I know ropefish have been bred in captivity before, but AFAIK they have never been raised from fry to adulthood.

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
This is absolutely golden! There is so much contradictory information about ropefish on the internet, I even once read an article that said that they have no teeth.

I'll see if I can't snap some nice pictures.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store