Royal knife fish

Bigfish7471

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2011
London
I live in London UK, so tanks off this size are extremely hard to come by, so I've had to approach my local zoo and ask where they got their aquariums, anyways it's costing £3750 just for putting the glass aquarium together! It's crazy I know, but I do love my babies lol

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I use to live in Ipswich Suffolk, visited London a lot :)

I bet it's difficult to get that size tank! Are you going with low iron glass, we call it Sapphire glass over here. More than likely your glass will be 1" thick (25mm) or thicker. At that thickness the glass turns green. Sapphire is crystal clear.

Are you going to build the tank in your house. I remember the rooms and doorways are kinda small in the UK. I can't imagine moving a tank that size all in one piece.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

Bigfish7471

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2011
London
Well, it's going to be built on site, out off opti white glass at 15mm with a double base, I was surprised it would be 15mm but it's bullet proof glass, which I will not be testing out lol, and yeah the doorways are only 30inches wide hence the need for the aquarium manufactures to build on site, should be fun to watch it all come together, will definitely post up pics

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Well, it's going to be built on site, out off opti white glass at 15mm with a double base, I was surprised it would be 15mm but it's bullet proof glass, which I will not be testing out lol, and yeah the doorways are only 30inches wide hence the need for the aquarium manufactures to build on site, should be fun to watch it all come together, will definitely post up pics
Looking forward to the updates!

Bigfish7471

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2011
London
An update on the new aquascape in the current 8x2x2, as well as 4 new additions with another 4 to join once they've grown a to the size these ones are, i bought all 8 oscars exactly the same size but the red tiger albinos grew faster for some reason, oh well more space in the grow out tank for the remaining red tiger oscars. Have a look - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9rzgZ6YWs

Bigfish7471

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2011
London
Just a quick update, I managed to measure my royals, and one is 22" and the other is 19" both rarely fight, as long as they are well fed I find their aggression is lowered and during the 3 day period off no feeding they get snappy even the other tank mates get snappy during the 3 day wait to get fed lol, the reason for a large gap in feeding is to mainly reduce the waste, but on the day I feed them gosh do they eat!!!!, I'll post up some photos asap

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store