Royal pleco with bichirs help asap

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Hi. I have a chance to get a 10" royal Pleco (looks like L191) but I have 6" bichirs. I know this topic are hit and miss so I wanted to.know what would you do or your experiences with a royal and bichirs. and its only $25!!!! tank.is a 70g with aqueon 55/75 aq70 large airpump sponge filter , cascade 600 internal. Senegal bichir ornate. Bgk 3 3"At dats. Upgrade to atleast 150 within 6months.

If this will work pickup will be this week.

My fish life is sparked up with Polys :)

Jackson

Piranha
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto
I keep 1 Senegal who I've had for 15 years with 28 panaque and have never had an issue. It's been with my plecos for around 10 years

You will need to up your WC's big time because your filtration is not enough for the addition of a 10" panaque unless you're already doing them twice a week at 50%+

Oh your sponge filter will be eaten most likely most plecos rasp on them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
I keep 1 Senegal who I've had for 15 years with 28 panaque and have never had an issue

You will need to up your WC's big time because your filtration is not enough for the addition of a 10" panaque unless you're already doing them twice a week at 50%+

Oh your sponge filter will be eaten most likely most plecos rasp on them

I realize the water change thing i had a 3" (i know not the same) ina 10g had to do it every second day 50%

Atm its 25% twice a week. Thanks for the info may have to turn it down then, thanks for helping me out with wrongful impulse :p its stilla consideration tho

RLHam3

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Georgia
in my 75, i have:
-5" L191 Panaque
-3.5" L190 Panaue
-6" P. senegalus

I have never had any issues. They completely ignore each other.
I have heard of two genus of pleco being ok to keep with polypterus : Ancistrus and Panaque. These two genus of plecos apparently are far less likely to suck the scales off the bichir. I think it may be due to their diet being so full of fiber without much protein. My Panaque both spend almost all of their time on the driftwood (which is an essential part of their diet)
I should mention that if you try Ancistrus only match the biggest ancistrus with the smallest bichirs. If the bichir ever fits the pleco in its mouth, it will lock its pectoral fins into place effectively choking the bichir and suffacting the pleco

+1 on water changes

Llamalord

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
Montana
Royals are probably one of the few plecos I wouldn't worry about too much with putting with polys. Personally I don't keep the two together just because of a bad experience with a gibbi and sen, taking the royal's diet into account I wouldn't worry much.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
i have a endi, delheiz, adn but with my sunshine. She pushes them around but that is about it

WarrendaFish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2009
Massachusetts, U.S.A.
I have 2 del's and 2 endi's in a 125 with 12 different species of pleco including a royal all are juvies in a 125 gal grow out and have had no problems.
Also in a different 125 gal I have adult poly's with a few adult plecos including a large royal for a few years and have never had a problem. I say give it a shot... If it doesn't work out you could buy another tank...  or give it to me
I got plenty of tank space.
Good luck!!

Jackson

Piranha
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
Toronto
Just to add to what I said my Senegal also lives with 4 hypostomus soniae and 2 scobis

Hypostomus are supposed to be the worst ones to keep with polys but IME this is not true.
I think the people who have experienced plecos rasping on their polys were not feeding their plecos enough to begin with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store