RTC Rescue, skin issue identification. Need help please.

HarryMcDowell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2022
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
3ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
71-80%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi all,
I loathe being this guy, first post being about an issue with RTC's. but I recently rescued this from an owner who's tank and filtration was far too small for it's size.
I searched the forums for a good hour, couldn't find this exact ailment.

Background information.
NH3 - 0ppm
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - <5ppm
pH 7.6

System and tankmates.
1200g Recirculation system, two ponds, automated daily water changes, heavily filtered with large sump, UV etc, water is clean and pristine.
Tank mates in system, Aros, Plecos, BD Rays, Tiger Bichirs.
All fed on high grade carnivore pellets supplemented with frozen fish/prawns on occasion.

RTC was quarantined with Praziquantel, Salt and Levamisole for two weeks before being added to system.

RTC is around 30", when I collected him, he had what looked like cracks in his skin between the eyes, very minimal and mistakenly assumed it was normal for RTC, however, in the last 6 weeks that I've had him in the new system, it has slowly increased.
I had large pieces of driftwood in the system, which he loves to knock around, I removed them to rule out him damaging himself with them.

Will add photos, excuse the poor quality, will try to borrow a friends camera to get better photos for identification.
If anyone can shed light on what is troubling it so I can focus to attention with the right medication, I'd be very grateful.

Have a 1200g pond on order, being shipped and will double my current systems volume, will be a nice paddock for this RTC for the next few years until i'm in my next house and can upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

- Harry

20221205_201533.jpg

20221205_201539.jpg

20221205_201558.jpg

20221205_201602.jpg

20221205_201633(0).jpg

20221205_201635.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

HarryMcDowell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2022
I should add, I am suspicious of HITH, but it looks very different to the examples shown online of RTC's with HITH.
Thanks again for help.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
Looks like a bacterial issue - I would treat with kanaplex and see if there is any improvement.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome!

I can't say this rings any bells for me. I vaguely recall that maybe I've seen something similar, exactly or remotely I couldn't tell you, on our RTCs.

If it was my fish, I'd just monitor for now. If the redness keeps increasing, that may indicate either an irritation from parasite or an inflammation from bacteria.

In any case I guess I've seen so many bad illness and deaths with many fish including RTC that for now I'd not worry and observe... and of course troubleshoot my system for any possible red flags. If there are none found after an earnest troubleshooting (and if the fish came with these symptoms as you stated) AND the fish feeds well, I'd not be concerned too much just yet.

It sounds like the RTC can eat and will eat sooner or later some of its tank mates and is also in the danger of getting stubbed by a ray who often dislike large rival bottom dwellers like this.

HarryMcDowell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2022
Welcome to the forum!
Looks like a bacterial issue - I would treat with kanaplex and see if there is any improvement.
Thanks for the response Deadeye.
AFAIK Kanaplex isn't readily available where I'm located, I'd have to order it in, it's a bit expensive but moreso the problem of how long it'll take to arrive.
I'll look into an alternative Antibacterial Antibiotic as well and see what I can get.
Thanks for the help :)

HarryMcDowell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2022
Welcome!

I can't say this rings any bells for me. I vaguely recall that maybe I've seen something similar, exactly or remotely I couldn't tell you, on our RTCs.

If it was my fish, I'd just monitor for now. If the redness keeps increasing, that may indicate either an irritation from parasite or an inflammation from bacteria.

In any case I guess I've seen so many bad illness and deaths with many fish including RTC that for now I'd not worry and observe... and of course troubleshoot my system for any possible red flags. If there are none found after an earnest troubleshooting (and if the fish came with these symptoms as you stated) AND the fish feeds well, I'd not be concerned too much just yet.

It sounds like the RTC can eat and will eat sooner or later some of its tank mates and is also in the danger of getting stubbed by a ray who often dislike large rival bottom dwellers like this.
Thanks Biggerthebetter :)

I mightn't of explained correctly, when I said that it's gradually become worse over the six weeks, I meant that it's slowly changed, but accumulatively it's significantly worse than when first taking the fish in.

I will focus my search on Bacterial/parasitic causes whilst investigating.
Whilst also double checking/monitoring my system as you suggested.

As for tank mates, he is currently segregated from the others, physically.
But I'll take on board your advice for when he is placed in his new pond that is en route.

Thanks again.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Looks like bruising and superficial damage to me. They like to hide under arched logs or inside pipes for security.

Can you get large PVC pipe. Or create a shadowed shelter corner.

I would not use antibiotics yet. Possibly some salt but just monitoring for improvement since you have removed the driftwood.

HarryMcDowell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2022
Looks like bruising and superficial damage to me. They like to hide under arched logs or inside pipes for security.

Can you get large PVC pipe. Or create a shadowed shelter corner.

I would not use antibiotics yet. Possibly some salt but just monitoring for improvement since you have removed the driftwood.
Half the pond has hard cover and is dimly lit, but it's sparse otherwise. I'll add more cover asap.

Antibiotics will be my last thing to try.
Was going to focus on antibacterial/antiparasitic remedies first.

I agree that he inflamed areas look like superficial damage, but the crack like formations on top are what stump me the most.

HarryMcDowell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2022
Just in case anyone wanted a conclusion.
After doing my 6 monthly deworming and Praziquantel dosing, I still didn't see any improvement.
Eating was sporadic and little.

I got offered a couple of the bass that were in his previous pond, I took them in and within a day his mood lightened and he was feeding very well.

Month or two on all marking have disappeared and he's living up to his reputation of being a vacuum for food.

tl:dr

Skin condition appears to be stress/boredom induced, once old tankmates were introduced to his new system, symptoms alleviated and he's doing fantastic.

Cheers for all the help guys :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for the great follow through. Keep reporting please. I am afraid sooner or later the RTC will eat the bass.

For now, I personally am penning it down as coincidental or due to a missed factor (if what was suggested was tested and found immaterial to the markings), or something extremely unusual to me.

Reactions: HarryMcDowell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store