Running 2 tanks off one sump questions

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
Hi all, I currently have a 5x2x2 running a Fluval FX5 and 1500lph cansiter for filtration. I will soon be getting a 3x2x2 and instead of using more canisters, I wondered if it was possible to run the two tanks off one sump. Here is a diagram of the idea:

Each section of the diagram is numbered 1-5. Explanation is below:

1. Water is pumped from 5x2x2 to 3x2x2.

2. Water overflows through weir in 3x2x2 into the sump.

3. Water passes through different layers of filter media.

4. Filtered water is pumped back to the 5x2x2.

5. Water enters 5x2x2.

Will this design work? Any comments or advice are much appreciated.

Centralised Sump Design.JPG

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
You cant do it like that because if pump 1 doesnt keep up with pump 4 your going to overflow the 5x2x2..

Give us a minute and ill draw up a few plans that will work...

*KrAmEr*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2007
Perth, Australia
First one is have the two tanks on one level connected by a pipe through drilled holes the second is have one tank above the other simply overflowing from top tank to bottom tank then overflowing into the sump.

You cant rely on 2 pumps to pump the exact same amount of water.

Attachments

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
I can't drill the 5x2x2 because it is running already

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
it wont work, both tanks need to be drilled.
maybe if you get the sump drilled and have it at a height? that might make the system workable.

Chris_A

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
Spruce Grove, Alberta
*KrAmEr*;1803312; said:
First one is have the two tanks on one level connected by a pipe through drilled holes the second is have one tank above the other simply overflowing from top tank to bottom tank then overflowing into the sump.

You cant rely on 2 pumps to pump the exact same amount of water.
The one big downside to this style of system IMO is you can't isolate one tank from the other if needed. The other downside is these styles have a nasty tendancy to cause floods. As time goes by hoses/pipes start to build up junk inside them, that reduces flow and if they ever clog for any reason (use your imagination, the possible causes are endless ;)) the water stays behind the clog and can fill that tank.

By far the best bet is a central system where both tanks have their own drains to one central sump and have their own returns from the sump. With the central system you have some choices too, one return pump or two, a UV inline on the return to kill pathogens (think of it as a firewall for your computer), adjustable independent flow rate are just a few.

If you can't drill the 5x2x2 then pick up some commercial overflows. they just need to be sized to what ever flow you want in that tank. Without knowing what you have for stock I'll use a generalized example. 5x2x2= 20cuft x 7.5=150gal x 5xTOR= 750gph If you run one pump for both tanks get a overflow for this one rated for 800-900gph and install a gate valve (works better than ball valves for flow control IMO) on the line going to the 150.

Just what I would do and have done!:) I hate wet floors.:D

Chris

soggysandwich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
what i would do is have an overflow on each tank going to the sump. then have a pump T'ed off going to both tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store