*****************s acclimation guide- just dump them in

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
float the bag is only needed when there is a big temp different. other than that, just dump them in.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I pour fish and bagged water in a bucket. Dump a glass of tank water in every couple minutes till I have tripled the volume. Net the fish and throw them in. It never takes more than ten minutes. I have never had a problem doing this in 44 years. Knock wood I have never introduced disease.

Edit: I have had to release some giant fish, 2 footers, directly in.
I had the same routine, until i lost a juvie ATF (some of you will probably remember that one) becuase i bucket acclimated. I still use it for fish i know its fine for, anything that breaths air or is a hardy CB.

I think it really depends on the fish and temp changes over anything, those instructions would kill sensitive WC baby fish, but would be fine for most normal LFS fish

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I've dumped plenty of WC fish straight into the tank, no problem. I know importers that have dumped thousands of WC fish straight into their tanks, no problem.

Temp changes are generally a non issue, unless off by a very wide margin, and most shock is caused from going warm to colder, than cold to warmer. Again, if/when a fish dies during an acclimation period, it's from stress, or osmotic shock, the former being caused from potentially numerous factors, including on how it was originally collected and housed, the latter generally being caused from a large shift in TDS. Many people used to. and often still do, refer to this as pH shock, which is a misnomer.

If ones TDS shifts too quickly it can cause osmotic shock, which for many years hobbyists confused with pH shock, only because most hobbyists don't own a TDS meter.

Osmoregulation has nothing to do with pH, and everything to do with controlling the balance of water/salt concentrations. pH has nothing to do with regards to if ones water is a hypertonic solution, hypotonic solution, or if it's isotonic. The shock part of the equation comes in when a fish has difficulty reaching equilibrium. The "high to low" shift in TDS values becomes more dangerous as the fish cells can become flooded with water faster than they can reach equilibrium, and burst .... which is where the term "shock" comes in. The biggest issue with pH is ammonia toxicity, as at higher pH values free ammonia can be much more lethal, especially when higher temps are involved.

Some additional reading for those interested.

http://www.angelsplus.com/ArticleOsmosis.htm

http://www.mtfb.com/MTFBJUNE/MTFB2 pages/jacobsarticle2.htm

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
I usually bring in my new fish in the container I transported them in ( usually a large tote) set it up Infront of my tank and slow drip acclimate it for about 15-20 mins and then net them out and out them in the tank. Never had any issues

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Just thought it was odd seeing this from an online fish seller.. I understand that sometime you can get away with a lot less than the usual acclimation methods. You would think an outfit that has to pay for dead arrivals and give a couple week warranty would want to have every chance to allow the fish to survive.

Personally, I do acclimate with the bag floating and drip method.. but I don't take the whole hour that is suggested.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
spiff ......... several yrs ago there was a similar discussion on another forum about acclimation of wild fish and during that discussion a very well known fish vendor posted how he used to also float & drip fish, and found that using the net & dump method resulted in a significant lower rate of death in the fish that he imported. Other importers stated the same results.

People don't net & dump fish because they're ignorant, or lazy, they do so because for the vast majority of fish it's the safest way to handle & acclimate them.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I've never really been a big supporter of lengthy acclimation periods. Keeping a fish in a bag or bucket instead of putting them in a comfortable tank with places to hide just never made sense to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store