Saber tooth barracuda?

mikehawk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
FL
mikehawk;666885; said:
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because big al's has some "sabertooth barracudas" for sale. They're about 3" long and selling for $16 each. The guy was telling me they get about a foot long, and they'll be fine a 55g. But, looking at those sport fishing pics, they look like they get huge. Is there some kind of dwarf sabertooth barracuda species for the home aquarium or something?

BTW, I was thinking of putting one in my 125g as soon as I take care of a little algea problem. It has 3 e400's for filtration and current, and the only fish left in there is a catfish, a pleco, a chinese algea eater, and some guppies. Would it be fine on it's own, or do they do better in groups like the other freshwater barracudas?
Well, I went back to big al's and all of the sabertooth barracudas were gone. Oh yeah, my chinese algea eater is MIA, and I only have 4 guppies left. I think the catfish may have been the culprit.

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
re reviving this thread
still curious about attitude towards tank mates?

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
A blast from the past. Things sure have changed since 05. But for your question--I reccommend reading the sticky at the top of the page. But of the 3 main species the Tatuaia is the best one for a mutli species tank. They will not harm any tank mate that is big enough not to be considered food. So as long as its more than half its length your safe. Same goes for scombs. But the big guy Armatus don't do real good with mates. As long as the tank mates don't kill the payara and they are bigger than its feeders your fine. Also they are slow eater so any really aggressive eater probably will not work etheir. i have housed them with hujeta's and barracuda many times with 100% success. And i have read about several payara getting bullied by aggressive cichlids.---------hope that helps

baseballvt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
vermont
hello, i bought one at the lfs and its not growing very fast if zi send a picture could you tell me if thats what it is for sure.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
baseballvt;2969795; said:
hello, i bought one at the lfs and its not growing very fast if zi send a picture could you tell me if thats what it is for sure.
Yeah,post a picture and someone will know what it is.

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
Thanks Hybridtheoryd16
I was hoping to house them with a chaca, small Jur and a few plecos so i think they'll do fine

VampAro69

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
Venice, FL
I have a scomb and a red tail tat, they both eat fine are growing good and live just fine. They tat has a little temper though.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
dpk2313;2972654; said:
Thanks Hybridtheoryd16
I was hoping to house them with a chaca, small Jur and a few plecos so i think they'll do fine
Not sure what a jur is but the rest sound good. If thats a jardini arowanna you are refering to that could be a problem later on cause they are mean.

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
juruense catfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store