Sad day

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
I just had to vent.

I lost my tang, trigger, and dwarf fuzzy today out of my 90g (I actually cried over the lionfish, I'd gotten really attached to him and he handfed and everything :()

I went into the room about 11 a.m to turn the lights on like I do every morning. I didn't even look in the tank yet, but went switched the switches into the on position and nothing happened. I was confused, and as I went to check the plug I glanced in the tank and noticed my big yellow tang laying on the bottom. I thought "oh crap, the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates SOMETHING spiked in the middle of the night and killed him" (already had had problems with nitrates a few weeks ago but thought I got it under control).

Well that didn't end up being it, because as I looked in the tank I noticed the trigger was also laying dead on the rocks. As most of you know triggers are really tough and it would have had to been a HUGE ammonia spike or something to kill him that quick. At that point it hit me....the lights weren't working because the whole strip had gotten turned off somehow, probably by one of my cats or the dogs :irked: , I should closed the door to that room better, I always check to make sure it's shut good! I even yell at everyone else for leaving that door open!

That strip had 2 of the powerheads plugged into it, so there would have only been one powerhead running. Yeah, there wasn't....the other powerhead was still plugged in but not running....wtf? How could that happen at the same time? After I was done turning the strip with the other 2 powerheads back on and netting the dead fish out (I'd found the lionfish under the rocks dead also :(:(:(), I took it apart looked at the impeller, cleaned it off put it back together, still nothing, so I"m not even sure how it failed, it's still not running.
So yeah, basically for however long that strip was turned off the only thing running was one rena xp3...Apparently not enough oxygen for most of them. The only 2 fish alive still are my grouper and moray, and they were still breathing really hard so I hope they'll be ok.

'til I get a couple more powerheads I stuck a bubble wand in there temporarily, the 2 powerheads that ARE running don't have a little hole on 'em for airline tubing, and the only thing running right now is the xp3 and those 2 powerheads.

I'm just sickened by this. I dunno if there's anything I could have done that would have prevented it, I guess it was just a freak accident, but I feel like if I'd happened to go in there earlier and looked at the tank I could have noticed and saved everyone. Or if I'd shut the door it never would have happened anyway. :(
I almost feel like quitting SW altogether, we've had several problems learning how to do SW in general 'cause we haven't been at it that long (nitrates, incorrect stocking, stuff like that), it's kind of frustrating that the problem that ended up killing fish was one that had nothing to do with being inexperienced with SW. It's just a huge blow because I spent all that time getting the parameters under control and making sure all the fish survived while the denitrifying bacteria was building up, doing a bunch of water changes and stuff, and I was so happy that I finally got it under control then this.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
I am sooo sorry for your loss.. that is one of the saddest of losing fish stories that i have read because it just seems so freakish that this would happen and the results were so devestating.. a little different timing or one thing different and a different outcome would have prevailed.. my sympathy..:(

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Thanks.

At least the moray and grouper seem to be ok this morning. They're breathing normally and looking for something to eat.

Mattcomptonassvanhorn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2005
Wichita,Ks
Yeah check strips daily. Sometimes they can trip the surge protectors without you knowing. Sucks dude. Ive been through that before. Heavy losses are never fun, It's part of the hobby though. You got knocked back a step. Now it is time to take two steps forward.

revkkoolaid

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2005
Space City, TeXas
www.myspace.com
Mattcomptonassvanhorn;1055774; said:
Heavy losses are never fun, It's part of the hobby though. You got knocked back a step. Now it is time to take two steps forward.
Agreed. You've gotta roll with the punches. We have all had to deal with tragedies at one time or another. Don't let it get you down. Keep your head up and whatever you do . . .don't give up!

Sorry to hear about your losses. Take some comfort in the fact that it wasn't your fault. I was moving cichlid fry out of a nursery tank one time and got distracted in the middle of it and dumped a pitcher full (20 or so) of exasperatus fry down the sink :( Like I said we've all had our bad days.

Glad to hear your eel and grouper have made it.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
revkkoolaid;1056042; said:
Agreed. You've gotta roll with the punches. We have all had to deal with tragedies at one time or another. Don't let it get you down. Keep your head up and whatever you do . . .don't give up!

Sorry to hear about your losses. Take some comfort in the fact that it wasn't your fault. I was moving cichlid fry out of a nursery tank one time and got distracted in the middle of it and dumped a pitcher full (20 or so) of exasperatus fry down the sink :( Like I said we've all had our bad days.

Glad to hear your eel and grouper have made it.
That kind of makes me feel better. I've yet to dump fish down the sink...(wouldn't put it past me though...I did overflow my 125g bad enough once to put at least 50g on the floor...)

I've been lucky thus far. I have 11 tanks in all and haven't really had any problems, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later.
I just wish it would have been my betta tank or something, not like he would have noticed the lack of oxygen :irked:

I won't actually give up SW, it was just kind of depressing for awhile. I think I'm gonna stick with mostly inverts right now though since I seem to be more interested in them anyway. I'm kind of thinking of setting up a big fowlr tank with lots of crabs and stuff (of course that will be a ways off).

Yeah check strips daily. Sometimes they can trip the surge protectors without you knowing. Sucks dude. Ive been through that before. Heavy losses are never fun, It's part of the hobby though. You got knocked back a step. Now it is time to take two steps forward.
That's what's sad. I did check the strip after I turned the lights off, to make sure it was plugged in and everything. It was definately on anyway though because my one light strip was plugged into it and that was still on.

I'll just have to make sure from now on to make sure all the strips (especially on the sw tanks) are completely hidden. I think I'll switch to a strip that doesn't have a button on it so it can't get turned off, orr maybe one where you have to press down on the button pretty hard rather than it just being a switch that almost anything could flip off.
There weren't that many fish in there, but I keep forgetting just how much turnover there has to be in sw for there to be enough oxygen.
One canister running on any of my fw tanks would have at least kept the fish alive 'til morning.
Definately need to put more powerheads too on another strip.

Kind of sad about the tang too, he was pretty big and he'd lived at our LFS for awhile.

Here's a couple of photos of the tang and trigger.

You can see here he was pretty big since that's a 90g.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Thanks guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store