Safe to go inside 225 gallon?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I can't really reach the bottom too well its 30 inches deep. I need to reseal. Can I go inside?
Hello; Think about what the bottom is made of, GLASS I suspect. The glass will have to be very thick and you will need to be very light. I understand that the total weight of the water wil be much greater than a single person but the persons weight will be concentrated at small points where you step or put a knee. That said, I have not done this so cannot say for sure it will break.

Good luck

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Dangerous, but if you do decide to do it; the only way I can think of would be to use something that you can spread weight across on; if that makes sense. So you avoid the direct points of contact as mentioned above.

Orrrrrr, how about one of those silicone guns, the kind of long ones

mike37909

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Knoxville TN
The hard part is using the razor to get the old silicon out. The glass is 1/2 inch i believe and is a floating bottom so i guess i wont get in it. A taller ladder is my only hope.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Why don't you just get some mates, some beer; and get them to lift it onto the floor for you
I love how the beer had to be included......nothing to do with anything he's trying to accomplish, no relevance towards the job or increasing efficiency...

...you just need beer.

Always get beer. It's the only thing that always works when nothing else does.

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
I don't see any issue getting down on all 4s or your ass in a 225. Spread out your weight the best you can and you will be fine.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I love how the beer had to be included......nothing to do with anything he's trying to accomplish, no relevance towards the job or increasing efficiency...

...you just need beer.

Always get beer. It's the only thing that always works when nothing else does.
Beer brings friends, friend lift tank off stand onto the ground, Mike can fix tank without having to climb in, there's your efficiency right there! If the beer is cheaper than the taller ladder, there's a cost saving as well, and now that Mike does not have to get into the tank, thus eliminating the risk of breaking the tank and injuring himself, there's a reduction in risk as well.
To recap, beer improves efficiencies, saves costs, and reduces risk. Yeah beer!

mike37909

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2015
Knoxville TN
I like the way you guys think! I used a ladder and cut the majority of the silicone out. Quite a stretch but i got it. Now i have to get every last bit. Taking a break though. Not gonna rush this!
Intuitively I feel like I could get in the 225 but better safe than sorry... I mean if everyone said yeah we do it all the time that would be different....
What is better acetone or alcohol for cleaning silicone off? I was thinking acetone might dissolve the silicone between the glass panes which would be bad.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store