salinity testers

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
I was thinking of buying a Pinpoint salinity moniter that is used but are they any better than a glass floater or the others that are out there? And I dont think I have to be that critical with my Rays as long as i am in the green I feel thats good.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Deano1956;4293139; said:
I was thinking of buying a Pinpoint salinity moniter that is used but are they any better than a glass floater or the others that are out there? And I dont think I have to be that critical with my Rays as long as i am in the green I feel thats good.
I can tell you 100% that hydrometers arent acurate at all, they dont temperature compensate, bubbles on the arm can cause high measurements, and salt build up can cause low measurements.

Refractometers are much better and are affordable, can be had on ebay for 30 bucks shipped. They need to calibrated with a reference solution, which should be provided with the device. Calibration is pretty simple.

Pin points are supposed to be the best, but dont know that the cost difference between a pin point and refractometer is really worth it.

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
Heathd;4293227; said:
I can tell you 100% that hydrometers arent acurate at all, they dont temperature compensate, bubbles on the arm can cause high measurements, and salt build up can cause low measurements.

Refractometers are much better and are affordable, can be had on ebay for 30 bucks shipped. They need to calibrated with a reference solution, which should be provided with the device. Calibration is pretty simple.

Pin points are supposed to be the best, but dont know that the cost difference between a pin point and refractometer is really worth it.
Thanks but I dont use that kind of hydrometer, i use the glass tube type that floats in the water

sprayin70

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2006
ga
I agree buy a Refractometer from www.marinedepot.com or similar. Make sure you calibrate it frequently. It will treat you good if you take care of it. I'm still using my first refract from 2003.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store