Salmon/Trout lookalikes

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
Planning out a 40 Breeder tank with a Bichir (before anyone asks me, 40breeders have more floor space then 55g's) and I really want some sort of Salmon analogue looking fish, Salmonids have been an obsession of mine for, well basically ever since I knew about them, and I really wana find something. I already have looked at Giant Danio's but being honest they don't look salmon or trout enough for me, I want as close as possible, while still being good for a smaller tank with a fish that will eat stuff thats on the small side.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
First thing that comes to mind for me is the colors of a celestial pearl danio - that would be easy food for even the smallest bichirs though.
Pike cichlids would have that elongated look but won’t really act salmon-like.
Certain killifish can work.

CichlidFiend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2007
brycons would be the south american equivalent of trout, you'd have to do some research to figure out if any of them could reside for life in a 40b, i do believe they would just be a bit too big to house a school in a 40b. some of the barb species are similar to trout in behavior, imo

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
African Trout Minnow might suite your needs and potentially grow big enough to be housed with an upper jaw bichir

View attachment 1530444
Ok Raiamas seems to be almost perfect, but a few things hold me back on them. First is that with their very high activity, it seems a longer tank is needed, which is a problem, and even if i could find one at the perfect size for this tank, that is still large and active enough to avoid the jaws of a bichir.
They are very rare and expensive! I doubt I could get one of these perfect fish :C.
The search continues...

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Zmouvek

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2022
The coppernose *might* be a valid fish for this, but Im getting conflicting reports on their size, which could lead to either the conclusions of a 4 inch fish that likes 40 gallons, which could be small enough to be eaten, or a fish that needs a larger tank and is of larger size. Im really getting confused by these rare guys.
If anyone here can give me a more clear view of these guys and other Raiamas species, it would be a big help.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store