Salt water set up

pete620

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Ohio
Generaly airbubbles are considered bad in salt water, they can cause gill problems in many fish.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Butter73;719198; said:
I am running a powerhead that is making the tank full of little air bubbles. Are these air bubbles ok?:confused:
Take the air tube off of the powerhead. If it can't draw in air, there won't be any bubbles.

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
pete620;720129; said:
Generaly airbubbles are considered bad in salt water, they can cause gill problems in many fish.
does that mean with like bubble fountains as well?

I love those things and I was planning on putting one in my 100 gallon fish only tank.

Lionfish
Eel
Tang
Angel

Would the bubbles be okay?

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
The most common problem with air bubbles in a salt tank is the appearance. I cant think of the term right now for it but the bubbles are more prominent in salt water so it looks terrible to view. I have seen several salt anks with air stones but the tanks are so big that it doesnt look too bad.I have never heard of bubbles causing health issues to salt water fish. But what you should do is take off the hose from the power head and angle the power head up so that it ripples the top of the water for gas excange unless you are running a sump or refugium. In that case the ripple is not necassary. I use 2 hydors on my maxi jet 1200 and it does a great job of moving water around and rippling the surface, just keep them clean.

Butter73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2007
Nebraska
I have the air hose off the power head and put it a little lower in the water and that seemed to take care of some of the bubble problem. I notice that there are bubbles coming out of the bottom of my protien skimmer as well. It doesn't look that bad, just don't want it to hurt the fish.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
It wont hurt the fish, all protein skimmers will send bubbles into the tank when they are new and in the break in period. Most kind that hob will send bubbles into the tank after you have turned them off for cleaning then turn them back on. You are fine, those skimmer bubbles will go away on a little while as long as your skimmer is dialed in.

pete620

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Ohio
I do not remember the link, but there was an article on wetwebmedia.com which discussed potential problems with micro bubbles in saltwater, and their effect on fish. As long as the bubbles are not extremely small they should not hurt your fish, but they may promote increased salt creep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store