saltwater newbie attempting a 55 gallon reef

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
that suck's about the leaking part but at least it was a $7.00 fix not a $50.00 the mini-brittle star's your seeing are great scavenger's of detritus and leftover food most of the time when food is in the water you'll see there little arm's rocking all over I breed these mini-brittle star's for RSF. It's great that your wise enough to take your time and protect your investment. As far as using prime on your RO water when it is cycled what is the TDS reading on it for the output? You can use prime but not really necessary after it went through your RO unit.

mr.reef24

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
you want it close to zero as possible as 8 ppm isn't bad but it could be better do you have a pump for the RO unit that will help bring it down as well. You can use prime on it to be safe til you bring it down some more.

mr.reef24

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Morrisville, North Carolina
No I don't have a pump for it. I'm thinking maybe it just needs to be used a little while to get the built up crap out of it before it starts working at its maximium potential again. I suppose if that doesn't work I could always replace the filters also. For the time being I'll just have to use prime I guess.

Now for lighting....what is the most powerful/beneficial type of light that I can get that won't require me to buy a chiller for the tank??

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
BTB0923;3297466; said:
I've noticed some new activity in my tank. I have at least three mini brittle stars hiding in my live rock. I see them poking there legs out reaching for food when I feed the damsel. There are also some sponge looking things that are getting bigger, and a feathery flower like thing coming out of a tube that hides when I disturb the water in the tank. There is also a clear mushroom looking thing. Anybody have ideas what any of this stuff could be?? I'll try and get pics tomorrow but they are all very small.
Here are my attempts at taking pictures of this stuff. The first one is of a mini brittle star in a crevice (green towards the top of the rock). The other two are of the sponge like things growing on the rock (the white spots). I'm not even going to try to get pics of the other stuff cuz you won't be able to see them until I start using a real camera instead of my phone.

sponge4.jpg

sponge1.jpg

sponge2.jpg

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
BTB0923;3298965; said:
No I don't have a pump for it. I'm thinking maybe it just needs to be used a little while to get the built up crap out of it before it starts working at its maximium potential again. I suppose if that doesn't work I could always replace the filters also. For the time being I'll just have to use prime I guess.

Now for lighting....what is the most powerful/beneficial type of light that I can get that won't require me to buy a chiller for the tank??
most likely it's just the initial break in of your RO unit I might run it into 2 five gallon bucket's and dump it out and see what your TDS reading are after that. great to see you have some small sponge's and micro brittle starfish on your LR. Lighting you can get a good T-5 setup for your tank or a 150 watt metal halide with T-5 actinic's.

mr.reef24

bromie88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Liverpool, England
BTB0923;3298965; said:
that depends on what you wanna keep. i'd suggest you take a look at the coral '101s' in the corals and inverts section in MFK. have a look through and see what types of corals you like the look of. then arrange your lighting around them.

also look carefully at the difficulty ratings... some corals have very specific needs. your gonna be on a pretty steep learning curve as is, dont make things even more complicated for yourself :) you will also need to make sure you have the correct spectrum of light. i basically run 50/50 white/actinic. most people will also run the same. some people prefer a bluer tank though, as it makes the corals glow up. actinic has UV light in it, therefore certain colours glow up under it.

as a general rule of thumb,
*softies = easy
*Large Polyped Stoney (LPS) medium
*Small Polyped Stoney (SPS) difficult

for you i would suggest soft corals such as mushrooms, zoas, button polyps, green star polyps, leather corals, kenya tree coral. this list is what i have in my tank. all are happy and growing in my 30gal, under 50w of T8 (25w white, 25w actinic). its apparently nowhere near enough light for any photosynthetic coral.... they are all above the halfway point of the tank though, where the light is more intense. i guess the spectrum of the light also plays a major role in my tank.

you can keep corals in more lighting than they need, but generally not less. and as you dont want to run a chiller (i dont balme you), i think T5s would be ideal. that way you can wet your appetite with softies first, and progress to LPS if you want. just slap some more tubes in there if you feel you need to, or can afford to. you wouldnt need a chiller either, and the electric bill wont be rediculous like it would be with metal hailide lighting, which would be overkill on a tank with softies.

i would wait for your tank to establish itself first though. and i would avoid putting anemones in your future reef tank. anemones will move around, and can do damage to corals they touch. its not a case of 'if' either, more a case of when and where to. they are probably the most mobile, of 'stationary' animals.

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
The small pump I am using for the refugium showed up yesterday. It pumps about 45 gallons an hour and I'd guess that there are about 7 or 8 gallons actually in the refugium. I have the pump taking water from the return section of the sump and pumping it into the refugium, where the water then overflows back into the return section. My concern is this...is the type of stuff I'm going to be keeping there (copepods, anthopods) small enough that it might be in danger of travelling over the overflow and getting sucked up by one of the two pumps in the return section?? Also, do I need more than 1/2" layer of sand in there?

Pics attached...

refugium1.jpg

refugium2.jpg

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
BTB0923;3301568; said:
The small pump I am using for the refugium showed up yesterday. It pumps about 45 gallons an hour and I'd guess that there are about 7 or 8 gallons actually in the refugium. I have the pump taking water from the return section of the sump and pumping it into the refugium, where the water then overflows back into the return section. My concern is this...is the type of stuff I'm going to be keeping there (copepods, anthopods) small enough that it might be in danger of travelling over the overflow and getting sucked up by one of the two pumps in the return section?? Also, do I need more than 1/2" layer of sand in there?

Pics attached...
I would do at least a 4 inch sand level it's fine or your zooplankton get's pulled into the overflow to go in the main tank for your livestock to have some extra food.

mr.reef24

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store