saltwater newbie attempting a 55 gallon reef

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
i've never really had problems with hermits...

untill i bought one because it had a sponge growing on it's shell and it ate half of my xenia colony which later died :irked:

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Morrisville, North Carolina
I have a LOT of hermits in mine. I can't remember how many I ordered but Reefcleaners sent me a sh*tload more than I expected to get. They don't eat any corals but its kinda annoying when they crawl over them.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
mantis shrimp?
puffer?

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
If I put either of those in my display tank they would probably tear my soft corals to shreds wouldn't they?

I'd like to put a peacock mantis in my refugiuim but I don't think its big enough.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
puffer would destroy eat all your sessile inverts and mantis shrimp depending on which species you could do in the fuge but why put them in a home for your reef's live food.

mr.reef24

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
i meant set up another tank lol

yeah i deffo know that stomatopods and puffers aren't good reefmates :D

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
ok guys, I could use some serious dosing advice cuz I'm having trouble getting my alk and calc to balance. I think the fact that I'm using all Seachem products might be partially to blame for my difficulty. They seem to be made to max out all the levels. For example, when my API calcium test kit reads 460, the Seachem calcium test kit reads 390...? Also, the Seachem Reef Salt has such a high borate content you have to subtract the borate alkalinity out of the total alk to get the carbonate alk.

I'm dosing two times a day...calcium and mag in the morning and alk in the late afternoon. Problem is I'm getting large daily swings so I'm having to do HUGE doses. My calcium can go from 410 after dosing to 390 the next morning which seems like a large jump. The part that really troubles me is that my alk has swings as large as 4.5 meq/l (9.52 DKH after you subtract the borate alk) all the way down to 3.9 meq/l (8.12 DKH). I then have to do a large daily dose of Reef Builder to bring it back up which can't be good for my corals. Isn't a drop of over 1 DKH daily a bit extreme?

Its almost like when I dose the calc it brings my alk way down and then when I dose the alk it brings my calc way down. Its a neverending cycle that makes me do huge dosings daily. My mag reads 1350, do I need to go higher or could it be something else? How high a magnesium level is safe before its dangerous for the tank?

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
what's your pH reading?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store