Saltwater tank problem, possible marine ich

StevieTheG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
New Jersey
Correct, but I would rather perform a water change then introduce chemicals into my aquarium even if they are safe. Now don't get it confused, I use chemicals to remove my chlorine but I let that water sit before it's introduced. I do not pour chemical directly into my system, that's bad practice. That's me personally and I don't mention practices that I do not perform.

I've never dosed with vodka. Can someone explain to me how it increases anaerobic bacteria production? I'm curious and don't feel like looking it up just now.

Not true - there are lots of chemical products out on the market that remove nitrates. Chem-pure and Purigien being very proven. Also vodka dosing is well known for increasing anaerobic bacteria

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Correct, but I would rather perform a water change then introduce chemicals into my aquarium even if they are safe. Now don't get it confused, I use chemicals to remove my chlorine but I let that water sit before it's introduced. I do not pour chemical directly into my system, that's bad practice. That's me personally and I don't mention practices that I do not perform.

I've never dosed with vodka. Can someone explain to me how it increases anaerobic bacteria production? I'm curious and don't feel like looking it up just now.
For staters you don't DOSE chem pure or purigien they are resins that trap nitrates - they do not go in the tank rather the sump or filtration devices. As for vodka dosing it is a pure form of organic carbon that is consumed by denitrifying bacteria, as the dosing of carbon increases the reproduction of the bacteria follows suit.

Water changes with R/O water are a terrific way to reduce nitrates especially if you can afford to do 50 percent however my 210 gallon SW tank + Sump water would cost me like $50 a week to change 50 percent - thank the heavens for Chem-pure elite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store