salvini experiences

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Through mfk and random googling I've become fixated with salvini. I have seen numerous accounts of salvini being kept in community tanks but not 100% sold that this is a good idea. I have also seen it listed as both amphilophus and nandophus. Any info will be greatly appreciated especially regarding their compatibility as a single specimen with a nic, ebjd and some geo red caps.

Thanks

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Can be territorial. If its a female and shes ready to la eggs or has laid eggs already there will be increased aggression. They can be mixed with the cichlids you posted.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
They are ex-Cichlasoma, being move to Nandopsis. I kept one with a lot of other cichlids in growout. It was a mature male I bought that was definitely the dominant fish, but a peaceful ruler. I eventually decided that I wanted to breed him...so I bought a F0 female this year and gave them their own 55 gallon. I haven't regretted it. Here are some threads with my experiences:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292005

videos in the first and last post:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307864

but then they broke up:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316332

I have some friends taking care of the separated pair and fry right now, but I will be returning to them in a month. When I left the fry were about 1" and were still doing fine living with their parents. I kept this tank in my actual dorm room (as opposed to the common room) and I got to watch everything they did. They are definitely one of my top 3 favorite cichlids!

wilsonlin45

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
New York
ime my 4 inch salvini was extremely territorial and would attack and try to kill anything under 5 inchrs. so far its killed an EBJD, another salvini a bit smaller, and a firemouth

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
As stated in the first post I linked, I got the male and female to pair up by throwing my 7" JD in the tank with them for about 1 minute. The male would have torn him to shreds if I left him in, but after removing the JD the male courted the female. The thing is: the male salvini lived with the JD for almost a year without any problems. It was a matter of putting an intruder in HIS house. So I would suggest adding a salvini to its tankmates, as opposed to tankmates to your salvini.

tommyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Connecticut
I had a great pair of Salvinis. They are gorgeous fish, and have really quirky personalities. My pair, although male and female, never did spawn. But they were the rulers of the tank. As stated before, they were peaceful rulers, only taking on the firemouth and killing him.

Awesome fish
Good Luck

bigdaddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Michigan
www.myspace.com
salvini one of the coolest looking fish but one of the hardest to tank mate with im my 125gal i had 2 salvinis with 1 RD and two JD's they destroyed the Rd and if the 2 JD didn't help each other all the time they would have destroyed them as well. good luck

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
The Salvini will compete in your tank, and if the others arent in top form it will dominate. This has been my experience. My female Sal, had a cave and was cool with the fish until they invaded her space. The only fish she didnt scuffle with was a female blue acara, the female Sal kept trying to breed with it. She laid eggs twice but never got them fertilized. I have since gave the female Sal away, it was really cool fish though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store