Salvini Pair

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Love me some salvini. I’m sure you know but be careful those guys get pretty nasty, especially when breeding.
Yeah, they're in a 125g with 2 more Salvini, 1 3" EB Texas, 1 5" Sveni Crenicichla, and 3 red-tailed blue botias. The Texas is the most aggressive of the group. They all ignore the botias. That being said, they're all still pretty small.

Reactions: Serpentine

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Looking good, They are great looking fish and more so when in breeding mode. think the other fish in the tank are going to cop some violence pretty soon, I've had these and was shocked by how aggressive a pair was. I'd recommend another tank just for the pair if you want them to be breeders or things might get wild in your current tank,

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Nice salvini OP! One of my favorite cichlids. I wouldn’t worry about the aggression too much. A 125g is decent space. Pairs could be a problem, so just keep an eye on them. If you have issues just remove the pair.

Serpentine

Piranha
MFK Member
May 17, 2018
Yeah, they're in a 125g with 2 more Salvini, 1 3" EB Texas, 1 5" Sveni Crenicichla, and 3 red-tailed blue botias. The Texas is the most aggressive of the group. They all ignore the botias. That being said, they're all still pretty small.
How big are the Y. modesta botias you have in there?

I've been considering putting some of those guys into one of my rougher tanks and moving out the resident Pictus cats as my juvie festae grow. Size difference may become an issue soon.

ETA: Jeff Rapps had some Salvinis that were to die for a while back but I didn't move when I should have. I will settle for admiring yours from afar. Too many tanks already, alas.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
How big are the Y. modesta botias you have in there?

I've been considering putting some of those guys into one of my rougher tanks and moving out the resident Pictus cats as my juvie festae grow. Size difference may become an issue soon.

ETA: Jeff Rapps had some Salvinis that were to die for a while back but I didn't move when I should have. I will settle for admiring yours from afar. Too many tanks already, alas.
The botias are still pretty small, between 2” - 3”.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store