Sanchezi Elongatus or black piranha?

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I have a 5.5" sanchezi and a 6" true black rhom. Which would be more entertaining or could could he kept happily in a 55g. Also, I have been searching for an Elongatus but can never find one. How would that compare to the others behavior and needs wise. Thanks for any opinions or information.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
They are all hit or miss. Most Serra sp. are skittish and can take weeks, months or years to come out over shell. In my opinion the sanch is the only "for life" option for the 55g. The elong and rhom should both last years in the 55g, but would need an upgrade in the future.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I agree with Welsher..... doesn't matter the type of piranha it's all hit or miss by individual specimen... best way to go is to find the one you like the best and hope for the best .....if you can upgrade to a 75 I would do a rhom if not then go with a sanchezi .....elongs will need at least a 75 as well

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
I agree with Welsher..... doesn't matter the type of piranha it's all hit or miss by individual specimen... best way to go is to find the one you like the best and hope for the best .....if you can upgrade to a 75 I would do a rhom if not then go with a sanchezi .....elongs will need at least a 75 as well
I agree and disagree. Of course it is a hit or miss but you can also train your piranhas to adapt to their surroundings (just like all animals). When i got my rhom, it would hide behind a rock for about 6 months. It didn't understand the feeding time and habits until after 6 months or so. Then it behaves exactly like my other serras such as waiting at the top of the tank to strike at the food or just patrolling the tank now that it understands that I am not a threat but actually the hand that feeds. So all in all: it takes TIME. BE PATIENT. if not go get some cichlids..

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
I agree and disagree. Of course it is a hit or miss but you can also train your piranhas to adapt to their surroundings (just like all animals). When i got my rhom, it would hide behind a rock for about 6 months. It didn't understand the feeding time and habits until after 6 months or so. Then it behaves exactly like my other serras such as waiting at the top of the tank to strike at the food or just patrolling the tank now that it understands that I am not a threat but actually the hand that feeds. So all in all: it takes TIME. BE PATIENT. if not go get some cichlids..
No thanks! I'm over the cichlids. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store