Sand and Gravel Filter for polishing water

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
The following is a downsized version of a 55 gallon sand and gravel filter used in koi ponds where exceptionally clear water is needed for viewing koi. The original full sized one by Steve Joneli aka Birdman can be found here. I take no credit for this. I simply downsized Steve's.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?68132-Birdman-s-Sand-Gravel-Filter

It follows a primary filter that takes most of the solids out. In my case it's DIY sieve filter in a drum stacked on top of a DIY moving bed filter before the water goes up through the sand and gravel filter. A bottom center drain from the fish tank goes to the sieve filter as does a surface drain, also know as a Cornell Drain although mine is a DIY smaller version.

Steve also does a good job of showing how to build his full size version step by step, which is similar to my downsized version except for the specifics mentioned below.

Mine was built from a 30 gallon drum for a lower flow rate of only about 15 gallons per minute (900 gph) due to the fact that my lower flow rate probably wouldn't be enough to use for backwash a full size 55 gallon drum. Steve's unit runs at about 40 gpm.

Both use air in conjunction with sending the flow out of a waste drain on the side to backwash.

Steve uses a full size blower while I use a shop vac on reverse flow to agitate the solids that that are trapped in the media.

I will be using mine for 150 gallon circular tank I will be hatching trout eggs in and rearing them to fingerling size before planting them into a flow through pond in the spring.

Perhaps this may be of interest to some of you?

Parts for the manifold:

The bottom manifold before final gluing: (There are holes drilled in the bottom for air to come out of to agitate the media for backwashing.

After gluing:

In the tank with the vertical air pipe glued in place and a grate on top to keep the stone above the manifold. Also shows the exit pipe (highest) and the backwash pipe (lowest). When in operation the top pipe is open.

Last edited:

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
BTW I used 1 inch pvc for the manifold pieces vs. 1 1/4 inch in Birdman's original sand filter, and two inch pvc for the waste drain and overflow to the fish tank vs. three inch on the bigger filter.

Also instead of 3 inches of 1 1/2 inch drain field gravel, 3 inches of 3/4 gravel, 3 inches of pea gravel, and the remainder granite chicken girt to the bottom of the waste drain (about 11 inches) in the 55 gallon drum, I have kept the ratios the same but reduced the thickness of the layers to 2.5 inches, 2.5 inches, 2.5 inches, and 8 1/2 inches respectfully due to less height of the 30 gallon tank.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Cool just use good quality food for the trout(many of those so called fish chows r too high in fat and other bad stuff)

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I read something about needing a large volume tank for proper back flushing. Would it be possible to back flush with city tap water at 70 psi. I am thinking of irrigation with the flush water.
Killing any bio with chlorine won't effect my purpose.
Thanks

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
I think it's more about the volume of water needed than water pressure. I.e. my kitchen sink is about 60 psi but it only flows at 3 gpm or 180 gallons an hour.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store