sand substrate and a FX5?

CORVETTE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA
I agree with the raising of the intakes on the FX5's i have replaced a impeller on my 4 month old one already. I have black sand in my 220 gal and the last time i open up my fx5 there was an inch on sand in it. I also want to say I'm not overly impressed with the filter I'm running 2 FX5' and an ehime professional and my tank is still not top notch. I would recommend a couple of the AC 110's on the back of the tank as well if your keeping any monsters in there.

TheFanatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
St. Louis
www.grillinfool.com
I have a sand bottomed 110 gallon (5'X2'X18"). I have a Rena X3 on my tank. I took a foam filter cartridge for a Aquaclear 30 and cut and + shaped slits in the end and made the slits deep enough to cover the entire bottom of my uptake tube. Once a week or so I have to remove the foam part and rinse. I have had very little sand in my filter in 4 months since I converted to sand.

Oh, and if you aren't a believe in the Rena filters I will say this. I have 40 fish in my 110 and the X3 keeps it crystal. It's not drinking water from end to end but it is from front to back.

I will be scaling back about 12 fish once a buddy gets into his new house and gets his tank up and running. But right now it's fairly crowded and still crystal. Flashless pictures blur a bit with movement so it doesn't quite do it justice...

3-30-2008.JPG

gotpiranha?

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2005
Lowell MA
Yeah I would put those pre filter on the inlet even if the tube is up higher.Just to be on the safe side.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I have a FX5 with play sand and the intake is about 5-6" from bottom with zero issues...

it isnt that easy to see but look at my avatar...

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
USMCtanker;1714762; said:
im thinken of geting an fx5 for my 150, i have sand in it as well. would the fx5 be good as the only filter on the 150 or should i still run the hob filters ass well
I think you would be ok with just that as long as you're not missing any water changes. Personally, I still run 3 Emperor 400s even with the FX5s as a "just in case" measure.

If you have the filters already, I would just leave them...you figure the added electricity use is pretty much minimal.

AttackFish;1714871; said:
I would be a little hesitant using that as a substrate. My main concern is that it is technically designed to be replaced after a year of use due to its absorbancy. You figure it's going to do the same thing in your tank, so any impurities will be absorbed into your substrate and remain there until it's removed.

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
KenyanSandBoa;1716940; said:
I think you would be ok with just that as long as you're not missing any water changes. Personally, I still run 3 Emperor 400s even with the FX5s as a "just in case" measure.

If you have the filters already, I would just leave them...you figure the added electricity use is pretty much minimal.

I would be a little hesitant using that as a substrate. My main concern is that it is technically designed to be replaced after a year of use due to its absorbancy. You figure it's going to do the same thing in your tank, so any impurities will be absorbed into your substrate and remain there until it's removed.

Thanks for the input.
What would you reccomend?
I've been trying to find a heavy/large grain sand that is still light enough for rays to burrow in but that will not get sucked up into my filter as easily.
I will use a prefilter though.

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
AttackFish;1716960; said:
Thanks for the input.
What would you reccomend?
I've been trying to find a heavy/large grain sand that is still light enough for rays to burrow in but that will not get sucked up into my filter as easily.
I will use a prefilter though.
You can use any sort of basic pool filter sand. Pool filters work like fluidized bed systems, so the majority of the sand that is out there is safe for fish. If there is a Namco by you, they will have standard silica sand which is the way to go.

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
KenyanSandBoa;1717390; said:
You can use any sort of basic pool filter sand. Pool filters work like fluidized bed systems, so the majority of the sand that is out there is safe for fish. If there is a Namco by you, they will have standard silica sand which is the way to go.
Isnt silica sand harmful to rays?

I googled Namco sand and was trying to find a close up picture of the grains, but couldnt find any.

I'm looking for sand like in this Picture(Yeah, I took this from BIGMONSTER's for sale thread, I asked him were he got it but he couldnt remember)

l330.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store