sand

wildman6809

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2012
cincinnati, oh
Are there any problems with silica based sands and the rays? I have heard that it is bad and that it is fine. Just wondering what you all thought about it.

Warrensmentor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2012
Virginia
I did this dance a couple months ago. You'll hear from both sides as I did. Here is how you can decide: if you have the cash, choose from the super natural line from caribsea which is designed to be ray and soft belly safe and it is great (several varieties too). I selected crystal river. I love it, rays love it, absolutely no irritation, they sift through it, and if it gets kicked up, it just sinks back down. A plus, it doesn't stick to them. Silica is said to be ok by some, others have shared experiences where they will never use it with rays again. If your low on cash, you could try scilica, but caribsea is a sure thing. Caribsea was $19.99 for 20 lbs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I found silica sand was sticking to the rays disk and they always looked dusty
It was also very light and when the rays flap it got pushed into my weirs

When I set the tank up I put 125kg of silica sand in when I changed it and took it our I only had about 90 kg in the tank the rest I found in the sump

If you are in the US you can look for a sand made by unipak and the very natural colour is call tanna it's a bit more expensive but it's the best substrate I have had

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
I used a coarse Quartz sand that I found at a local landscape supply store. The rays can dig and bury when they want and it is very heavy so it stays out of the filter. It was also "dirt" cheap if you will excuse my pun :)

It seems to be similar to the larger carib sea sands just cheaper. I want to say it was 10-15 bucks for 80 pounds

MFNRyan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2012
P.A.
I used silica sand on my first ray tank. The sand seemed to stick to the ray all the time and even under her some. I switched to Caribsea because Trev suggested it to me. I'm super happy with this choice. I got Tahitian moon super naturals for my tank and it works great.

MFNRyan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2012
P.A.
Johno.. that's a nice looking ray in your pic man! hybrid of some sort?

wildman6809

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2012
cincinnati, oh
What if I use a more coarse silica based sand. It is not super fine. The reason I want to se this is because of color and price. I need a few hundred pounds.

Sent from my A500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MFNRyan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2012
P.A.
What about the pure pool filter sand? It's super smooth and I hear does not stick to the rays. Price isn't bad either.. I have not personally tried it though man, just hear say

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store