SAVE $$$ AT DOLLAR STORE, WAL MART FOR AQUARIUM SUPPLIES

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
Wow, I had no idea $$$ stores carried Melafix! I get Superglue Gel, to glue my corals onto rock form there. I won't step foot into a Walmart, until they stop carrying fish.

bichir_first

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Roseburg, oregon
Derpeder;1046735; said:
Craigslist....

Pretty much every fish thing I have comes from CL.

Great deals.

yes u have to love the Craig its were i not only got my 20g but my 93mustang as well great site for bargen deals

crashinc25

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Yucaipa, CA
Pufferpunk;1111690; said:
Wow, I had no idea $$$ stores carried Melafix! I get Superglue Gel, to glue my corals onto rock form there. I won't step foot into a Walmart, until they stop carrying fish.
Fight the power brotha

Fish Room Plus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Pufferpunk;1111690; said:
soon Very soon............

~THEO~

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Bris-ney land, Australia
Mystix212;1047763; said:
Here in Auztralia, we dont have a WalMart or home depot, just got Bunnings which is the biggest hardware store and pretty much lots of little cheapie stores that dont carry much. The occasional supermarket will carry goldfish flakes that you would never dare to feed.
This sucks. I have found that Crazy Clarks sells air hose at $2.00 for 10 meters and a various range of nets for a few dollars too. but thats it!

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
Here's a couple more:

If you want choice in sands and get them cheap, go to a sandblasting or pool supply place. You can get all sizes, textures, and colors (black beauty looks great and is something like $5/100lbs)

For algae scrubbers, I go to the place that rents floor buffers. The new pads have a hole in the middle that pops a perfect little algae scrubber out that's free and better than what you get at pet stores. Just let the people know what you're doing before you go around pocketing stuff.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
balton777;1046391; said:
Yes, great tips but reading all caps makes me :crazy:. Thanks for the ideas.

Everyone probably knows this one but here goes:

Instead of buying water posishing material at the lfs, get quilt batting material (quilt stuffing) at Walmart from the arts and crafts section. I think I paid $6.99 for the king-size package. It's about 30 times the amount you get at the lfs for the same or just a little more $ and it's virtually the same stuff.
Ha! I thought I was the only one doing that! Way to go, beb! Be careful though - some of the batting does have a fire retardant on it but that is usually on the more premium kind. It's usually listed on the package.

• I've said this one several times: Restaurant supply stores have all kinds of off the wall stuff you can use for your aquarium. Usually if it's food safe, it's aquarium safe. You just have to be a bit creative.

crashinc25

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Yucaipa, CA
rjmtx;1112232; said:
...go to a sandblasting or pool supply place. You can get all sizes, textures, and colors
Just be careful because a lot of sand blasting material is composed of slag, high in iron and bad stuff.

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Black Beauty is iron slag and used quite often in aquariums. Personally I don't trust it simply because I think it would be too sharp. I spent a lot of money on my black substrate and I don't even like it. I'm going to use white sand in my new aquarium.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
balton777;1115024; said:
Black Beauty is iron slag and used quite often in aquariums. Personally I don't trust it simply because I think it would be too sharp. I spent a lot of money on my black substrate and I don't even like it. I'm going to use white sand in my new aquarium.
May I ask why you don't like it? I was planning on black sand for one of my tanks.

I had pure white sand in several tanks and I took it out. When it gets dirty it looks NASTY. Unless you siphon constantly you can always see crap on it and it just looks bad. Even when I siphoned a lot it ended up getting a small coating on it so it never looked clean. I've found a light tan to be the best looking IMO. When it gets stuff on it it's not that noticeable like with the super white stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store