Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
There are a couple of different issues here:

- Should you raise the fry?
- What are the fry?
- Should you sell / give them to others?

I can't think of any good reason that you shouldn't raise the fry. They're yours and it might be interesting to see what they look like.

While the fry aren't technically hybrids, they would not be authentic to what is found in the wild (for either of the contributing fish). The most responsible thing to do is to label them as what they are: Bifa (Rio Chacamax) X "Pink" Bifa.

We've known (and in an effort to preserve the unique characteristics) have discouraged cross breeding of, for example, different geographic varients of peacocks (Aulanocara) for many years. We've only more recently begun to recognize differences between geographic varients of central and south american fish.

Unfortunately, this means that a lot of the central american cichlids in the hobby today are crosses of different geographic varients and/or species. They're nice, pretty aquarium fish, but they're certainly not authentic to what's found in the wild.

Depending on whether the taxonomists classifying these fish are lumpers or splitters, these geographic varients could be lumped into one species or multiple species (a la the convict complex, red devil complex, etc.). Whether a fish is authentic to nature ("pure" or hybrid) shouldn't rely on the latest taxonomic determination so much as whether the fish are authentic to what's found in nature (in a specific population) or not.

The final question is whether you should sell / distribute the fry. I don't have a problem with this, just so that you're doing so in a responsible way: selling them as what they are and (to the extent possible) ensuring those that pass them on / keep them are representing them as what they are...which is not a fish that is authentic to a particular wild population.

saltydog_1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
st louis
do what you want, however they should be properly identified as a cross of the two variants regardless of color if they are distributed. good topic btw.

Ruck Fules

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Garage
dogofwar;2210860; said:
There are a couple of different issues here:

- Should you raise the fry?
- What are the fry?
- Should you sell / give them to others?

I can't think of any good reason that you shouldn't raise the fry. They're yours and it might be interesting to see what they look like.

While the fry aren't technically hybrids, they would not be authentic to what is found in the wild (for either of the contributing fish). The most responsible thing to do is to label them as what they are: Bifa (Rio Chacamax) X "Pink" Bifa.

We've known (and in an effort to preserve the unique characteristics) have discouraged cross breeding of, for example, different geographic varients of peacocks (Aulanocara) for many years. We've only more recently begun to recognize differences between geographic varients of central and south american fish.

Unfortunately, this means that a lot of the central american cichlids in the hobby today are crosses of different geographic varients and/or species. They're nice, pretty aquarium fish, but they're certainly not authentic to what's found in the wild.

Depending on whether the taxonomists classifying these fish are lumpers or splitters, these geographic varients could be lumped into one species or multiple species (a la the convict complex, red devil complex, etc.). Whether a fish is authentic to nature ("pure" or hybrid) shouldn't rely on the latest taxonomic determination so much as whether the fish are authentic to what's found in nature (in a specific population) or not.

The final question is whether you should sell / distribute the fry. I don't have a problem with this, just so that you're doing so in a responsible way: selling them as what they are and (to the extent possible) ensuring those that pass them on / keep them are representing them as what they are...which is not a fish that is authentic to a particular wild population.
saltydog_1;2219692; said:
do what you want, however they should be properly identified as a cross of the two variants regardless of color if they are distributed. good topic btw.
Thanks for the inputs guys. Like what I said on my original post, I have no plans to save or raise the fry. I just wanted to hear and know where members stand with regards to this.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
i would save myself a few... no harm as long as your not selling them .. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store