Save the Fry?

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Screw all this nonsense! Breed them, keep the fry and hit me up when they get 1"!

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I guess it would depend on if the pinks are a race or a morph. A race would be a distant differant coloration from a specific area. A morph would be an usuall coloration that could appear in any of the races, ie albino.

But then not knowing what race the pink morph is from could cuase the same problems. Remember lately scientists have been dividing alot of species that have differant color races into new species (convicts, regani dwarf pikes, various kribs as examples), so mixing races can end up being hybrids.

WildCAught

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Riverside, CA
Gani,
I know these will have gorgeous offspring. With that being said. I say keep some... for yourself. Breeding Naturally occurring variants should be done with care. If they breed identical to only one parent and you get rid of some then someone down the line may sell these as reg. bifa or just pink Bifa. If these get out into the market they may mess up some unsuspecting persons breeding project (someone trying to breed reg. variant bifa or vice versa).
That is the reason that I won't breed my Salvadorian "RTM" to a honduran RTM. Because the colors are much lighter and could wash out the Hondurans'. Say I give some fry away to a friend and he breeds them then passes the offspring on to another person. After a few people the original contents of that breeding may have been forgotten. Someone may purchase one of these RTM to breed to their F0/F1 and really be mixing in genetics that he/she hadn't anticipated.

Truthfully, keep them to yourself.

xEchOx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2006
ND
I personally would raise a handful to see what they look like.

That being said I can see both sides of the fence.

IMO, the offspring would not be a hybrid. The parents are the same species, that originate from different waters. Their food, habits, and environment have given them subtle differences in appearance through years of evolving and surviving. They are still, though, the same species.

On the other hand, both of these fish are pure of blood, and have certain subtle characteristics that make them stand out from other fish in their species. I can see why one would not want to mix genes with another fish of different origins and slightly different prominent characteristics.

John Rambo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Zagama Beach
I would keep them and sell them even, hybrid or not. Your name is Ruck Fules! Purists have alot of rules, and although I feel their pain about screwing up pure breeding projects down the line, its everyone's right to select traits while breeding. The only responsiblity we have to keep is to acknowledge what our fish are made up of, and to not lie about it.
If you dont like it, dont buy it.

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
greenterra;2208069; said:
Mixed strains?Yes but I don't see it as a hybrid. Aquamojos Jag Jumbo is a prime example in my eyes.Jumbos father was a regular morph managuense...his mother was gold.A mix of strains that made an exceptional managuense. I bet there is not a member here that viewed him as a hybrid and rightly so IMO. I see no difference here with your Bifas.
:iagree: with this state ment. it wouldnt be classed as a hybrid, just a bifa IMO its only a cross between colour morphs of the same species as posted, this IMO wouldnt make them hyrbids.

Ruck Fules

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Garage
I know both sides have strong opinions about this topic but thank you for the civil conversation.

I'll try to get more information about the "pink" Bifa. I actually met the person who currently keeps them at the SOCAL meet and was told that they were collected from Mexico and brought back here by his friend. He used to own the store in Culver named "The Aquarium". I bought it from Gary "polomax24" and he knows the person who collected them. I'll send Gary a PM and ask him to post here or give me more information about the "pink Bifa".

Again, thank you for all the input.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
greenterra;2208109; said:
mmmmm.....I don't agree with this meaning to an extent.That would mean we as a human population are full of hybrids.Plenty of humans have dissimilar parents from different races. We are all Homo sapiens are we not?:)
There's the kicker. Yes, that's exactly what that would mean. Exciting isn't it? :popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store