Scarlet pleco growth rate

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
A couple of inches a year at best. That is one reason they are so darn expensive. Plus they hide a lot when smaller don't come out a lot until about 6 inches or so. Still a very cool pleco that will live a long time if properly cared for.

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
If you had a baby scarlet like around 2" and trying to grow it to 8"+ not to discourage anybody but your chances of losing one is higher...don't get me wrong of course its been done and have been done but I'm just illustrating how slow they grow. =)

Marowana420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2009
Toronto Canada
If you had a baby scarlet like around 2" and trying to grow it to 8"+ not to discourage anybody but your chances of losing one is higher...don't get me wrong of course its been done and have been done but I'm just illustrating how slow they grow. =)
my 2" only grew 1" in a year. but i already killed a 3"er before this one.:irked:

Recumbent

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
San Diego
About 1.5" per year for L025. Same as L114, L014, etc. Royals about 2.0" per year until about 10" and then they slow down. My 14" ones may be down to 0.5" per year.

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
my 2" only grew 1" in a year. but i already killed a 3"er before this one.:irked:
I know how you feel...in the past I've had many small scarlets, titanicus, leopards...at 2" and was never able to successfully grow them to 6" mark. Every time they die, I would go out and get some more small ones and start all over just to have the same thing repeat itself eventually. I recommend not buying baby plecos and buy medium size ones no smaller then 4-5".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store