Schooling fish for a 90g Oscar tank?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I got some tiger barbs and giant danios today as schooling fish for my Oscar, in a 90 I might add.

Most likely won't be able to get eaten until Oscar reaches over 6 inches, we'll see.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Inkblot88

Feeder Fish
Aug 22, 2017
I got some tiger barbs and giant danios today as schooling fish for my Oscar, in a 90 I might add.

Most likely won't be able to get eaten until Oscar reaches over 6 inches, we'll see.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Found this dead thread from Google. I just ordered 25 tiger barbs for my 125 gallon with a 3.5 inch baby oscar and a baby raphael catfish as an experiment. How did your tiger barbs end up doing?

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Besides giant dianos, what other schooling fish could I add to a 90g tank with 1 Oscar? I'd ideally like about 6, so that rules out tin foil barbs and silver dollars due to their size. Suggestions?
Here's a list of fish which get in the 4-7 inch range but are big enough to survive:
Filament barbs
Normal silver dollars
Slender hemiodus tetra
Spanner barbs
Arulius barbs
Red rainbowfish

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Is it a baby Oscar? When I got mine I got Roseline sharks to go with it. Since they have grown up together she don't see them as food, well so far anyways. Where as when I put some giant Danios in from my JD tank she promptly ate 2 of them, and still chases the remaining 3.
So if yours is still young you may have better luck. Here 6 months later I still have all my sharks and are keeping pace with her growth.
It's basically an arms race of sorts, needing a fish that will keep up or outpace your fishes mouth/speed.

20171111_110741.jpg 20171111_110725.jpg
My sharks have learned to grab up most all the mess Toni makes when she eats

20170922_162647.jpg

Edit: I forgot to add that my sharks also eat Toni's poop. I know right sounds gross, but they do it, most of the time it will not even hit the bottom of the tank before the sharks eat it all.....

Last edited:
Reactions: kiwiraka
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store