Schooling fish question

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Recently I lost three of my five ruby barbs to illness.
Of the remaining two, one of them has been bullying the other one almost relentlessly.
I have had no luck finding more ruby barbs.
If I add tiger barbs do you think the bully will leave the other alone and they all will exist in somewhat harmony?
I've never owned tiger barbs so I don't know how aggressive they are with each other. But in my limited experience with them they don't seem too bad.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'd say do it, it definitely creates distraction and a lot of the time barbs tend to just assimilate between species in my tanks

Reactions: ehh

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
That's what I was hoping for. I get the green ones. I wish I could find the Black and Tan ones but I can only find green, orange and neon green.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
they will be fine get as many as your tank will allow, the ruby barbs are not as agressive as the tigers also the ruby are the best looking of all the barbs imo.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
In my experience, tiger barbs need to be kept 6 or more or else they'll start to harass the other fish. In a big group they will keep to themselves.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
I picked up five green tiger barbs.
Not even an hour after introducing them to the tank the barn that was getting picked on was out swimming about instead of hiding and the bully barbs seemed more interested in the one additions. Hopefully it stays this way.

Reactions: convict360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store