Schooling Fish Suggestions Please

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Bump.

I imagine arulius and filamentosus are probably the same as rosies but can't hurt to see what others think.
Have also thought of skipping the schooling fish but..I'd really like to have some if I can.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
I kept 3 bala sharks with 3 tinfoil barbs for my single bichir for quite a while in my 75tall but the tinfoil barbs were becoming food whores. Bala sharks are very peaceful though

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Oo, forgot to write that we did pick up that tank. It's 72"x18"x23" which brings it to 129g according to a volume calculator that I trust. Of course it's less when you put in substrate and such.

So the main fish I was going with were rosy barbs..but they're more sub tropical, like the rose line sharks. I think giant danios are too?

Has anyone had arulius or filamentosus barbs?
I know it's been a couple weeks since you asked, but I have both. I've had Arulius (mine are actually False Arulius Barbs) for a couple years and they breed like rabbits. They are great looking fish, especially in their breeding colors. The males tails will get blood red and they will have pinkish/purple hues on their bodies. The males have awesome streaming dorsal fins. My largest male is about 4" and the females are about 2.5 to 3".

Both Arulius and Filaments are very active; they add lots of movement to the tank. In my experience, the Arulius barbs are a bit more timid than the Filaments. Filaments kinda remind me of goofy goldfish constantly begging for food, whereas the Arulius are a little more aloof. The Filaments typically swim in the upper 50% of the water column whereas my Arulius will more typically stay in the lower 50%. The male Filaments also grow an awesome streaming dorsal fin and they have nice colors too, especially in breeding dress. Their tails will turn a pinkish/red and their bodies will have a greenish/blue iridescence. They grow larger (Males up to 7").

Temp range for them is 68-78F.

Not sure if it's a deal breaker, but in my experience both of these fish devour plants. I added a few plants and after two days all that was left was a twig; all leaves were consumed.

Here's a pic of the Largest Male Filament (6.5"):

Male Filament Barb.jpg

and the Arulius:

Arulius.jpg

Male Filament Barb.jpg

Arulius.jpg

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Thank you very much for the response!

Due to their size & location in the tank I think I'd rather the filaments, if I were to do them in this tank. The plant eating is a deal breaker though, unfortunately.
You have some very beautiful fish and I'm glad you told me about them, since even if they're not going in this tank, I want them some day!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
No problem and thanks for the kudos.

Have you considered Luciosoma spilopleura (Apollo Sharks)? Sometimes I see them in shops for pretty cheap ($5 or $6 each). They are surface swimmers, grow to around 8" and I don't think they eat plants. I kept a few a long time ago and really liked them.

Another option may be Cyclocheilichthys janthochir. They are pretty timid fish (one of the most passive species I have ever kept). Mine are about 6", they school pretty tightly and as far as I know, they do not eat plants (although I have never had plants in the tank they are in). They aren't that common though, so they might be more expensive than what you're looking for (typically $15 - $20 each, but you never know, sometimes shops can have them for cheaper).

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
You're welcome!

I had not ever heard of apollo sharks. From a quick google, and I tend to rely on seriouslyfish a bit too much..they don't sound quite right for our tank. Imagine they'd freak out the ctenopoma :(

The Cyclocheilichthys janthochir looks quite lovely! I don't think my LFS can get those in, at least it's not on their wholesaler website. And as you say a bit pricier.
Another fish to add to my "one day" list XD

I'm not feeling quite as urgent on the schooling fish now, as I'm thinking we'll just not do any and add more bichirs. Still open to ideas though!

Thank you again, I love hearing about new (to me) fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store