Scientist Takes First-Ever Photo of Rare Bird, Then Kills It in the Name of Science

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Agreed, sometimes the things we do for so called science seems like BS, such as this case...

What happens if this was the last male in the wild, this scientist would have single handly killed off an entire species...

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I guess no one read the linked article or any follow up articles regarding the estimated population of this species. It appears they are well known to the people of the area and are even taken for food use.

There is a lot of controversy, even in the scientific world, about collecting for a scientific specimen. It just seems to be more troublesome for people if it's a bird or mammal. Does anyone really complain if it was a fish or insect? Just my two cents.

Reactions: ehh

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
^ Agreed, sometimes the things we do for so called science seems like BS, such as this case...

What happens if this was the last male in the wild, this scientist would have single handly killed off an entire species...
Reading the article or doing some extended research might put your worries to rest. An article on the topic by Scientific American quotes the researcher saying that he doesn't believe they're endangered after seeing how common they actually are in the area. They're localized but not at risk.
Not that i condone what they did.....

Reactions: Fat Homer

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I guess no one read the linked article or any follow up articles regarding the estimated population of this species. It appears they are well known to the people of the area and are even taken for food use.
can't speak for others but I doubt if I'm the only one that read all of that,and the post about an image of the bird turning up in a recent video game.

Last edited:

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
What game is it? :)

ancientfishfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Nah, they were just hungry and wondered if it tasted as good as it looked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store