scorpions ...

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
emporers can be kept like green anoles, they are easy, wild caught are over fed and over watered, an arizona yellowonly needs a cricket a week and misting at the same time

dark_aLLeY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2005
somewhere along the equator
magic said:
Check out this site:http://members.aol.com/zwonpresentation/empcare.htm It seems to have good info. Once i caught a scorpion and kept it in a coffee can for a few years, then let it go again. It was cool, i fed it bugs i caught.

wow, short and sweet info...thnx for the webby. Actually i wanna know more about bedding for emp scorp...cos i feel like using fine sand but not sure if it's gd enuff or not & since s'pore has very humid weather so guess i can skip the misting ... :grinno:

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I have found coconut husk to be some of the best bedding to use for tropical scorps. It retains moisture and allows for burrowing (both of which you scorp will like). Sand is fine, but I try to only use that for really dry enclosures (desert scorpions). Singapore is pretty much climatically correct for emp. scorps ( I think?).

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Oh yaeh, sand molds easily when moist. It is usually to sterile to fight of mold. And with nothing for mold to compete with... mold wins.

Thimble

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2006
Lake Mary, Fl
You shouldnt use sand for emperors. They come from tropical forest areas. Thats like putting a salt water fish in fresh water

sauroid

Candiru
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
somewhere in asia
softturtle and thimble are correct. emperor scorps are forest dwelling species. use cocohusk, peat moss or vermiculite for bedding. these substrate types retain moisture better and your scorp needs humidity to live well.

demandor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2006
washington
I have 5 emp and have worked with tons of them.
I recomend untreated potting soil (no pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides)
I then put a curved piece of corkbark for them to hide under.
Spray with water at least 2-3 times per week.
Mine will drink from droplets on glass readily.

Thimble

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2006
Lake Mary, Fl
Any tips on keeping humidity up? I spray atleast 3 times daily but after about an hour it'l drop back down to 50%. Its 40-50% if I dont spray at all, and when I do spray which is alot, it'l boost to 70-80%but then back to normal after about an hour. I put plastic on about 75% of the screen. I have a red bulb that I keep on 24/7 to help keep the temps up. With it my temps are 82-ish. Without it they go to 73-75, so I keep it on always.

20 gallon btw

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store