Seachem matrix as gravel

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I keep all bare bottom tanks. I am thinking about putting scant layer on the bottom just as a place for some reserve bacteria to grow. I thought I read somewhere of using matrix as gravel. Anyone doing this? Other then price any cons?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
The only issue I can think of is that over time, those pores that harbor bb will get clogged, and then those matrix will harbor about the same amount of bb as regular gravel. Unless, you're willing to regularly take them all out and blast them with the garden hose.

raubiy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2015
♛ Slovenija ♛
Just waste of money. Canister filters have more than enaught media. Example 2262... :)

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
The only potential issue I can see if that the media is fairly brittle. IDK how long it would hold up getting stirred around and beat up with a gravel vacuum.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
In my tank I have dropped a few matrix into my bare bottom tank. To me I'm not sure if it made any difference but while moving.. I didn't have time to setup my sump so all my matrix were just baged up so I just dropped them all 6 bags (30L) into my 2 tanks..

justin

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
FL
I kept a pond plant pot full of it for years in one of my tanks and pond. I had it so if I needed it for a new tank or quarantine or something I had it ready. Doesn't break down real easy. I had the same stuff for like ten years and when I sold fish I would give some to the person and throw it in the bucket with the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store