Seachem Safe vs Prime

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I agree with Gill Blue, the chances of anyone requiring a "double dose" of Prime on a regular basis is slim to none. Allow me to explain .....

The following are the directions posted on Seachem's website:

Directions
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.
So based on simply treating for chlorine, a "double dose" would be treating for 10 mg/l (ppm), which is way beyond anything that one should ever encounter in their tap water, no matter where in the world they are located. The maximum residual disinfectant level (MRDL) allowed by the United States Environmental Agency is 4 mg/l of chlorine, same with chloramine, and .8 mg/l of chlorine dioxide.

Where I live in Canada, the water is treated with chloramine, at 2 mg/l, which is pretty standard for chloramine systems. 4 ppm would be considered a very high level for either chlorine or chloramine, and what was being recommended for you to use would be for treating over double those values. That's just being silly, and wasteful, not to mention the fact that Seachem does not recommend dosing with potentially 10x the required product. A LOT of hobbyists may only have a chlorine residual of 1.0 ppm (or less) so treating for 10 ppm could prove to be lethal under certain conditons, for certain species of fish.

Having said that, according to a Seachem rep that posted on MFK in a past discussion: "Prime does break down and after about 24 hours it dissipates from the water so there is no chance of build up".

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store