Seachem SAFE!!

Hellothere116

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
Just wanted to know if any one has done this. So if 1/16 of a tsp treats 75 gallons can I put 1/16 of safe in a one gallon (128 ounces) container of water then do 75÷128=.585
So if my brains still thinking straight, I would use .6 ounces of mixed safe per gallon I want to change out of my tank.Im pretty much just make prime I guess.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
To determine what amount of water conditioner is required to treat your tap water, you first need to know how much disinfectant residual is in your tap water. Otherwise it becomes by guess or by golly. See below....

BTW - Safe does not contain stabilizing agents (as Prime does) and according to the manufacturer should be used up within 30 days of mixing with water.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
To determine what amount of water conditioner is required to treat your tap water, you first need to know how much disinfectant residual is in your tap water. Otherwise it becomes by guess or by golly. See below....

BTW - Safe does not contain stabilizing agents (as Prime does) and according to the manufacturer should be used up within 30 days of mixing with water.
What do you mean by stabilizing agents? Slime coat? I just started using safe rather than prime (because of the thread you posted above), would I need to supplement with something else?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I was ignorant of the difference between SAFE and Prime a few years back. They are in affect the same product from the same company but I was informed there is a difference. Safe is in powder form and is much cheaper to use, but once mixed up is will not last long as a solution.
PRIME has added stuff( stabilizing agents) and comes already as a solution. My understanding being PRIME can be kept around a long time and still be good.

So if you want to make a solution, figuring as I did it is easier to make up a large solution volume, then be sure to only make up enough that you can use up in about three weeks. The devil is always in the details of things.

Hellothere116

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2016
Okay good to know, so just to run it past all of you if I want to do a 20 gallon WC I can just mix 1/64 in say a shot glass add my water from the tap then add the dissolve safe. I'm looking to remove chlorine and all that fun stuff in tap water.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Okay good to know, so just to run it past all of you if I want to do a 20 gallon WC I can just mix 1/64 in say a shot glass add my water from the tap then add the dissolve safe. I'm looking to remove chlorine and all that fun stuff in tap water.
The current directions for Safe treat 1.25ppm chlorine/1ppm chloramine. Check your water report for how much chloramine or chlorine you have, and dose your tank based on the total tank volume, regardless of amount of water changed.

If your water is treated with 4ppm chloramine or 5ppm chlorine, use 1 teaspoon per 200 gallons (instructions before 2014).

I use these spoons for my smaller tanks https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stain...ash+measuring&qid=1565274621&s=gateway&sr=8-3. I use the drop spoon (about 1/64 of a teaspoon) for every 5 gallons because I know that I have 4ppm chloramine.

I don't bother mixing the safe in water before putting it into the tank. I put it in the same area as where I am going to refill. I have had fish try to eat the undissolved particles because they think I am putting in food, and have noticed no immediate side effects from doing so.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
thanks RD. RD. for this,
Recipe:
Make a solution consisting of 4 ounces (1/4 lb) Sodium Thiosulfate crystals dissolved in 1 gallon of distilled or deionized water. Use 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of the solution for each 10 gallons of makeup water to neutralize up to 3.75 ppm chlorine. One cup can be used for each 500 gallons. (The entire one gallon of solution will treat about 7500 gallons of tap water.) The shelf life of the solution is about six months when stored in a cool location. The crystals will keep for several years if kept dry.
its saved me a small fortune.

Reactions: Jacob1320

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Sodium thiosulfate is not something that I personally recommend, unless one is strictly treating for chlorine. For chloramine, especially with large water changes, and even more importantly with high pH vales where free ammonia (NH3) becomes very toxic - I always recommend products such as Seachem Prime and/or Safe.

What do you mean by stabilizing agents? Slime coat? I just started using safe rather than prime (because of the thread you posted above), would I need to supplement with something else?
Stabilizing agents are just that, they keep the solution in a stable environment, rendering the product stable, in this case for many years. But as per a conversation I had with the head chemist & CEO of Seachem many years ago, Safe does not contain any form of stabilizing agent, and his advice was that if one was pre-mixing water & Safe, that it should be used up within 30 days or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store