Seawater vs making your own

varanio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
Pam Pam Pam
These aquariums that we speak of have multi million dollar setups, I think they can get away with it because the water is sure to be rid of any polutants. I think Zoodiver might have more insight on this, but I wouldnt risk it specially if you have coral and expensive reef safe fish. There is just too much that can go wrong, not to mention they have already built up an immune system to their man made enviornment, whos to say theyd survive mother nature after all the chemicals poured into LFS systems anyway.

varanio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
Pam Pam Pam
Zoodiver;1698405; said:
Is it real 'seawater' from the ocean, or is it just premixed saltwater?

I'd suggest ozone to clean up real water from the ocean. Could be some real funk in it.
beat me to it

TheSaltwaterGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Virginia
I'd definitely be weary of it. There very well could be impurities and other chemicals that could be harmful to the fish that have already adapted to aquarium confines.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
It is real seawater not premixed stuff. It is tested before the send a batch as to not send chemicals and toxins etc into aquariums. It is specially taken for use in home aquariums. I talked to the store owner and got the name of the company and looked into it a little bit. I did do my water change with it and it is completely fine. I have had no problems with it so far. I highly doubt that there would be anything wrong with it.
Here is a link to the page http://www.catalinawater.com/
I actually think it is much better now than mixing it yourself you simply cannot completely replicate seawater easily. I would definitely would say to give it a try definitely worth it IMO.

varanio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
Pam Pam Pam
serafino;1699396; said:
It is real seawater not premixed stuff. It is tested before the send a batch as to not send chemicals and toxins etc into aquariums. It is specially taken for use in home aquariums. I talked to the store owner and got the name of the company and looked into it a little bit. I did do my water change with it and it is completely fine. I have had no problems with it so far. I highly doubt that there would be anything wrong with it.
Here is a link to the page http://www.catalinawater.com/
I actually think it is much better now than mixing it yourself you simply cannot completely replicate seawater easily. I would definitely would say to give it a try definitely worth it IMO.
Well this is different than just taking from the ocean obviously, as stated before it does go through a procedure to make it more devised for aquaria.

lferg

Banned
Jan 19, 2008
Alabama
Think about this..Have you had bad luck with your home made water killing your fish? If not why change? For $1 a gallon, I will do 100% water changes for you once a month. Thats just kinda pricey. Cheap but come on $1 a gallon vs your water you have been making and know every thing about... And coming from San Diego! Seriously that is like 600 or more miles away!!!! DO you know how much it would cost to ship WATER!!! It's very heavy, it would end up costing a bit more than $1! Frisco is closer, why would it not come from there? I think your LFS is pulling your leg, they might be selling you their R/O mix!

lferg

Banned
Jan 19, 2008
Alabama
Just looked at your link.. THey sell that stuff here at Petco for $25 for 5g. I SERIOUSLY doubt they can process, package, and ship 5g and then your LFS put in their make up and have it come out to $1 per gallon. Seems fishy to me.. No pun intended.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store