HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

A single initial dose will kill algae. Dose as directed.

Also, program your timer for a 2h break in the middle of the day. The plants won't mind, but algae do. Old school trick..

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Hey Harley no timer past two days just left the lights on for maybe 3 hrs. The dosing is allot though every day or every other day seems like allot

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I run pretty low tech set ups and have learned over time what I can and can't get away with. I have never had luck with java moss, it grows like weeds for some but not for me. Crypts on the other hand I grow with ease and is used as my primary ground cover/foreground plants. Every tank is different, and lighting (spectrum, wattage,par, duration etc) all have an effect. Tank depth is also an important factor along with the age a type of lighting used. I also use the primitive soda bottle co2 to establish new tanks for quick growth and after the plants are established I back off on it. Again it works for what I grow. The trick with algae is balance, too much of any one thing an algea will take over, the plants have to utilize the food light etc quicker than the algae if not or if there is excess the algae will take over.

Stop dosing the flourish. I dose once a week. Also I find co2 has little effect on java fern, Anubis and java moss in my experience anyway. I stick with cabomba, jf, anubius, water sprite, crypts and after much trial and error ave figured out what works to me. I have a thread on this page with a low tech planted 45, that's 24" deep if you care to take a look.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I run pretty low tech set ups and have learned over time what I can and can't get away with. I have never had luck with java moss, it grows like weeds for some but not for me. Crypts on the other hand I grow with ease and is used as my primary ground cover/foreground plants. Every tank is different, and lighting (spectrum, wattage,par, duration etc) all have an effect. Tank depth is also an important factor along with the age a type of lighting used. I also use the primitive soda bottle co2 to establish new tanks for quick growth and after the plants are established I back off on it. Again it works for what I grow. The trick with algae is balance, too much of any one thing an algea will take over, the plants have to utilize the food light etc quicker than the algae if not or if there is excess the algae will take over.

Stop dosing the flourish. I dose once a week. Also I find co2 has little effect on java fern, Anubis and java moss in my experience anyway. I stick with cabomba, jf, anubius, water sprite, crypts and after much trial and error ave figured out what works to me. I have a thread on this page with a low tech planted 45, that's 24" deep if you care to take a look.

Thanks for sharing aquanero, will definitle take a look at your thread. Im new to plants and it looks like everything i read before diving in is kind of opposite of whats happening lol

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I'm no expert but planted tanks depending on far you what to go with it is a whole thing. I keep it simple and enjoy watching the plants grow but don't go to far with it, I keep it simple. It can become expensive. My LEDs, double brights are pretty much useless I use T8 or T5 fluorescent and the works pretty well for what I do.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I wanted to do some basic stuff easy plants, pennywort, jf, flame and java moss. Dont seem to be having problems bseides the java moss. Maybe i should put the reg florescent bulb back on.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Try the Flo bulbs and tie some JM to driftwood, see if that helps and cut back on the ferts.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Jm is tied to dw also trying the carpet thing. Will look into those bulbs.

I just dosed as per the instructions. 1 cap per every 10 gal after a wc then 1 cap per 50 gal every other day

uploadfromtaptalk1428074357298.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428074367068.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428074380073.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Time is a important key too, I ordered some bulb (water lily) Red tiger lotus few months ago and it's progression 100% different to what I've read and research about that plant before I decide to order it. After 4 months my Red Tiger Lotus showing up its potential and start taking off like weeds :D and soon will take over half of my tank surface within next 2 weeks. This was my plan to raise a natural top cover surface water plants for some shades and I'm getting close to that goal :D So just don't go crazy about your tank take it easy and have fun :D good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store