Seeking all Aussie Lungfish owners

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
Thanks so much Egon, you'll be doing a great thing helping Aussie researchers age wild lungfish and aid in their long term conservation. If you know of any fellow members with lungies maybe drop them a line and see if they can retain one. If you get one the best thing to do is dry them in between some pieces of paper with a weight on top to stop them curling, just like you would a flower in a press. This will enable postage also.
Thanks again

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Here in Germany is a Shop called Panta Rhei Aquatics they have about 5-6 ausie lungfish
for sell.
They ask for 950,- Euro

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
Thanks Malte81. I had a look and it looks they are available for order from Australian Supplier. We are really after fish that have been kept for 5- 10 years plus so that we acn look at scales and validate the markings or carbon content relates to the known age. I assume this shop fish are pretty young so would only b a a couple of years old at best. Thanks again.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I'm still here and waiting for my guy to shed a scale :) I swear the next one is yours. I figured out its exact age at one point. I can do it again. I will send you all this info with the scale as soon as possible. Its around 8 years old now FYI, right around 30"

Attachments

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Interesting stuff. Good luck, David. There was a discussion thread that popped up not so long ago in the polypterus sub-forum regarding alternative, non-destructive methods of aging Polypterus. I followed the thread with much interest, as I will follow this one. Perhaps your research will pave the way for a similar study of polypterus, or else spark further inquiry.

From the sound of it, you are leading a captivating life. I am always inspired when I see people who have tunneled out such wondrous niches! I occasionally consider changing my major to marine biology, but my place will be in an English classroom, or at a desk writing fiction. Best wishes, and I apologize if I have derailed your topic.
Ernest III.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store